vicidial pre-requisites

Any and all non-support discussions

Moderators: gerski, enjay, williamconley, Op3r, Staydog, gardo, mflorell, MJCoate, mcargile, Kumba, Michael_N

vicidial pre-requisites

Postby artgwapo » Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:16 pm

hi all :)

i'm just curious, is having the knowledge of basic unix or linux unix are the requirements in handling vicidialer?

how about mssql or mysql, is it also a pre-requisites to manage vicidialer??

and kindly correct me if i'm wrong, but the way i understand it ... vicidial is another type dialer that is based in asterisk?

hoping for an enlighten once more.

cheers!
artgwapo

follow-up

Postby artgwapo » Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:23 pm

i'm posting this inquiry not about on the hardware side requirements but on the user side especially person(s) who manages the vicidialer ..

i make this follow-up since it might be construed as i'm thinking or specifying about the physical or structural considerations of the systems though i'm more implying about interest of the vicidial implementer to improve its skills 8)
artgwapo

Re: follow-up

Postby gibo » Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:41 am

artgwapo wrote:i'm posting this inquiry not about on the hardware side requirements but on the user side especially person(s) who manages the vicidialer ..

i make this follow-up since it might be construed as i'm thinking or specifying about the physical or structural considerations of the systems though i'm more implying about interest of the vicidial implementer to improve its skills 8)

(di kita ma gets)

You will need linux skills, Sql or query skills, IT skills :D
gibo

Postby mflorell » Wed Sep 08, 2010 6:01 am

If your system is properly set up, to MANAGE ViciDial you do not need Linux or SQL knowledge, but it does help. Pretty much all a manager needs to know is in the ViciDial Manager Manual, which is where you should start.
mflorell
Site Admin

Postby williamconley » Wed Sep 08, 2010 6:26 pm

Installation of vicidial requires the ability to "burn an .iso" and basic networking knowledge. Also the ability to read and understand the installation instructions.

Administration of Vicidial (especially the latest versions) requires the ability to understand the basic intricacies of web browsing.

It HELPS to have Linux capabilities. It HELPS to purchase, read, and understand the VICIdial Manager's Manual. It HELPS to be able to post questions on this forum in English (to be understood more easily and get answers that you will understand).

But: It is NOT required to have any understanding of or skills in Linux to install or use VICIdial.

ESPECIALLY if you pay someone to install it for you and train you how to use it. THEN all you really need is WEB BROWSING skills. It is also much less expensive (you'll need less help) if you purchase, read, and understand the Manager's Manual.
Vicidial Installation and Repair, plus Hosting and Colocation
Newest Product: Vicidial Agent Only Beep - Beta
http://www.PoundTeam.com # 352-269-0000 # +44(203) 769-2294
williamconley

enlighten

Postby artgwapo » Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:13 pm

so the way i understand, it truly helps if one who handles the vicidial has the knowledge of linux unix or sql with the exemption only if the owner has the capability to pay other individual to manage the systems. well, that's cool.

and just to be honest, my background about dialer is totally not that deep. i mean i am used to other platform like P*rsec for 2-years++ as a Support-person to it.

then their was a short period of time i've tried to used T*levant*ge, as well, Dhr*sti.

now, i guess for those anyone in here who have tried using those systems will agree that its totally user friendly.

retrieving recordings or profile or details about the numbers being called will only take a second with those systems i've used.

i'm not saying the vicidial is not as good as those systems i've used. in fact, i can even say that vicidial is more than good compared to those systems as mentioned. perhaps i just needed some time more in-order to grasp the systems itself.

and i don't have against the vicidial either since i always understand that its systems has its own pros and cons and that everything is not perfect. besides, each systems is unique in its own way or it has some kind of proprietary functions too.

i hope that thru this forum, i can learned more about vicidial.

cheers!
artgwapo

Postby williamconley » Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:33 pm

Actually, I've used Televantage and VICIdial both quite deeply (including board level diagnostics with dialogic, and expanding systems already in place) and I can honestly say that the differences are not very big (any more).

In older versions of VICIdial (2.04 and earlier) there was a fairly large Gap, in fact. However, that gap was EASILY filled by adding FreePBX to fill in the missing pieces. Then the problem was the Televantage itself was NOT a predictive autodialer, this requires purchasing 3rd party software (which we helped beta test).

By the time you've finished paying for licensing and an installer (unless you're a crazy person like me), you have put in just as much time and way more money with Televantage and your system does NOT do more than VICIdial with FreePBX.

On the more recent side, newer versions of VICIdial (starting with a major milestone of 2.0.5, no need to edit most .conf files outside the GUI), the need for FreePBX to close that gap has dropped. And let's not forget that Televantage still isn't a predictive autodialer and FreePBX is ... well, free.

Now that we are up to 2.4, The Vicidial Group has improved the system to the point that FreePBX is redundant (well, not completely, but it's really not necessary for most applications any more) and there are systems in VICIdial that I never had in Televantage (Although I must say I've lost touch with Televantage since their Lease is what got me THIS job! Thanks Televantage! :) )

So today, VICIdial (with the unbelievable capability to add any feature you can reasonably describe to Matt or The Vicidial Group!!) outweighs Televantage by a fairly good margin.

To add a specific function to VICIdial to meet YOUR operational needs may cost a few hundred or a few thousand with The Vicidial Group or an independent such as myself, but try that with Televantage and see how far you get!

Add 10 more agents and see how much The Vicidial Group bills you (um ... nothing?)

Add 2 new servers because you just added 40 more users ... and the money you DIDN'T spend (what $32k?) on Televantage software, dialogic hardware and licensing all-around (user licenses, "agent" licenses, trunk licenses, station licenses ...) will easily pay for as much customization as you can think of.

So from a "user" standpoint (the guy who sits at the desk and says "oooo, pretty") Televantage may be viable. From the standpoint of a Doctor's office that wants to just pay someone to "Drop in a working telephone system" and then "Train Everyone!" and "Tell us how our system works" (since you can't change it), it may be viable if expensive.

But for someone who makes a living with their sales reps on phones with as many customers as possible every day, who has fulfillment centers that WILL change the data requirements without warning ... VICIdial is quite literally the ONLY game in town.

But that's just MY experience. :)
williamconley

great info

Postby artgwapo » Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:56 pm

williamconley wrote:" ... I've used Televantage and VICIdial both quite deeply (including board level diagnostics with dialogic, and expanding systems already in place) and I can honestly say that the differences are not very big (any more).

In older versions of VICIdial (2.04 and earlier) there was a fairly large Gap, in fact. However, that gap was EASILY filled by adding FreePBX to fill in the missing pieces. Then the problem was the Televantage itself was NOT a predictive autodialer, this requires purchasing 3rd party software (which we helped beta test).

By the time you've finished paying for licensing and an installer (unless you're a crazy person like me), you have put in just as much time and way more money with Televantage and your system does NOT do more than VICIdial with FreePBX.

On the more recent side, newer versions of VICIdial (starting with a major milestone of 2.0.5, no need to edit most .conf files outside the GUI), the need for FreePBX to close that gap has dropped. And let's not forget that Televantage still isn't a predictive autodialer and FreePBX is ... well, free.

Now that we are up to 2.4, The Vicidial Group has improved the system to the point that FreePBX is redundant (well, not completely, but it's really not necessary for most applications any more) and there are systems in VICIdial that I never had in Televantage (Although I must say I've lost touch with Televantage since their Lease is what got me THIS job! Thanks Televantage! :) )

So today, VICIdial (with the unbelievable capability to add any feature you can reasonably describe to Matt or The Vicidial Group!!) outweighs Televantage by a fairly good margin.

To add a specific function to VICIdial to meet YOUR operational needs may cost a few hundred or a few thousand with The Vicidial Group or an independent such as myself, but try that with Televantage and see how far you get!

Add 10 more agents and see how much The Vicidial Group bills you (um ... nothing?)

Add 2 new servers because you just added 40 more users ... and the money you DIDN'T spend (what $32k?) on Televantage software, dialogic hardware and licensing all-around (user licenses, "agent" licenses, trunk licenses, station licenses ...) will easily pay for as much customization as you can think of.

So from a "user" standpoint (the guy who sits at the desk and says "oooo, pretty") Televantage may be viable. From the standpoint of a Doctor's office that wants to just pay someone to "Drop in a working telephone system" and then "Train Everyone!" and "Tell us how our system works" (since you can't change it), it may be viable if expensive.

But for someone who makes a living with their sales reps on phones with as many customers as possible every day, who has fulfillment centers that WILL change the data requirements without warning ... VICIdial is quite literally the ONLY game in town ... ".

wow!

that's cool :wink:

so i can say that 'your the man'. :)

and perhaps, if anyone have the problems or inquiries related of this topic ... definitely, your the person that will be the first to call.

without a doubt, your the right man for the job. :wink:

cheers!
passwords are like underwear. You shouldn’t leave them out where people can see them. You should change them regularly. And you shouldn’t loan them out to strangers :)
artgwapo

Re: vicidial pre-requisites

Postby boybawang » Sat Sep 11, 2010 11:07 pm

artgwapo wrote:hi all :)

i'm just curious, is having the knowledge of basic unix or linux unix are the requirements in handling vicidialer?

how about mssql or mysql, is it also a pre-requisites to manage vicidialer??

and kindly correct me if i'm wrong, but the way i understand it ... vicidial is another type dialer that is based in asterisk?

hoping for an enlighten once more.

cheers!

linux
apache
asterisk
astguiclient / vicidial
mysql
php
perl
Vicidial Installation + Configuration + Support + Custom Development
Download my ebook on installing vicidial for free http://download.vicidial.com/ubuntu/VIC ... 100331.pdf
m: +639172063730
boybawang

Postby williamconley » Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:01 am

and agi and AJAX :)
williamconley

Postby artgwapo » Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:34 pm

omg :o
passwords are like underwear. You shouldn’t leave them out where people can see them. You should change them regularly. And you shouldn’t loan them out to strangers :)
artgwapo

Postby williamconley » Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:03 pm

asterisk should also be separated into "configuration" and "dial plan programming" and then there's also standard dial plan and ael.
williamconley

Return to General Discussion