How important is Hardware Zaptel Timing vs ztdummy

Any and all non-support discussions

Moderators: gerski, enjay, williamconley, Op3r, Staydog, gardo, mflorell, MJCoate, mcargile, Kumba, Michael_N

What is your timing source

ztdummy
50%
Digium Card
29%
Sangoma Card
7%
Generic X100P
14%

Total votes : 14

How important is Hardware Zaptel Timing vs ztdummy

Postby vr » Wed Aug 30, 2006 12:39 am

I'm running a 10 seater depolyment of Vicidial which is plaged with choppy voice and basically terrible voice quality issues.

When the agents are manually dialing using the same softphone attached to the same Asterisk server without using Vicidial voice quality is excellent.

I've used iperf in UDP mode to confirm if we have anough bandwidth and we do about 1.05Mbps so thats not an issue and latency is under 50ms. The dial level is also relatively low at 1.5 to 2.0

When I moved to using app_conference voice quality improved since app_conference does not require a timing source.

But voice quality was still not upto par. And I suspect app_conference is not stable enough for our use.

Has anyone had similar problems and how did you guys fix it. Am I right with thinking that a Hardware Zaptel timing source such as X100P would fix my issue.
vr

Postby mflorell » Wed Aug 30, 2006 7:09 am

A hardware timer is always recommended for VICIDIAL use because of the rapid entry-exit of calls from VICIDIAL meetme sessions and the stress that VICIDIAL puts on the system as a whole.

An X100P card is the cheapest solution to the timing problem.
mflorell
Site Admin

Return to General Discussion