Advice needed for 100+ agents.

Any and all non-support discussions

Moderators: gerski, enjay, williamconley, Op3r, Staydog, gardo, mflorell, MJCoate, mcargile, Kumba, Michael_N

Advice needed for 100+ agents.

Postby Smallman » Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:35 am

Hi,

Was using Goautodial CE 2.1 (which we got from a guy that never gave any support after payment) and currently have 20 agents on a single server setup. I don't really have much knowledge with this and even linux in particular but here I am trying to learn. I'm hoping someone can give some guidance.

We are currently expanding and building a cluster would be greatly better than a single server setup. I would like to build a cluster for 100 agents and I'm wondering if a quad core, 8gb ecc ram and a single SAS 15k drive would suffice instead of raid 10 for the database? Would a SSD work better?

I'm also planning to put the cluster behind a clearos firewall. Would it be better to give the dialer direct access to the net? Should I procure other hardware like digium or any other hardware for the cluster?

So sorry for the noob questions. Hoping for some guidance.

Thanks!
Smallman

Re: Advice needed for 100+ agents.

Postby gardo » Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:39 pm

Upgrading to 3.0 is highly recommended. Here is the HOWTO: http://goautodial.org/projects/goautodialce/wiki/UpgradeCE21to30.

If you're going to build a cluster for 100 agents, it's recommended to use RAID10 for the database server. SAS drives in RAID 10. For the dialers, you can either use SSD or SAS drives. Just don't forget to enable the RAMDdrives or tmpfs for the recordings. This will prevent disk IO bottlenecks when you're doing full recordings on all conversations.

If you're going to use SIP trunks for your outgoing or incoming calls, you don't need any telephony hardware (Digium or Sangoma cards).
http://goautodial.com
Empowering the next generation contact centers
gardo

Postby williamconley » Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:58 pm

If you are planning to cluster, use Vicibox (not GoAutoDial) to install your cluster. That's the one thing Gardo has not yet built into the GoAutoDial installer.

Alternately, you can use the Poundteam Multi-Server Manual (google it) to cluster a GoAutoDial install (has worked for many users).

RAID for the DB is for disaster recovery (dead drive). RAID 10 is to increase speed/reliability if using RAID (as opposed to RAID 1). RAID itself is not actually necessary for operation, just recommended for "dead drive" moments to avoid downing the entire room due to a drive failure.

SAS 15k is always recommended, SSD is better. It all comes down to i/o speed and reliability. Fast is good, reliable and fast is better.

Do not put the dialer behind any other form of firewall. Use IPTables in each server to whitelist external access and use a 2nd NIC for an internal network without firewall for inter-server communications. Any other firewall aside from the built-in iptables will always be a problem waiting to happen. Direct answer: Your Vicidial servers should have direct access to the net.

No digium or other special hardware is necessary. Some facilities like to use the USB timing cards, but we still have not had a single client in our colo require one and to date all call-quality issues have been traced to the client location, none at the server location. USB timing cards cannot resolve sound issues at the client location.

Happy Hunting!

PS: If you're going to be doing this for a while, and your livelihood depends on it, I strongly suggest a vSphere server (free version, of course) or at least a VMware installation (free to install on your desktop) so you can practice installing GoAutoDial and Vicibox (recommended for clusters) without danger to your existing server(s). This could allow you to get comfortable with installation and clustering. Virtual Vicidial may only be good for one agent, but it's excellent for testing! 8-)
Vicidial Installation and Repair, plus Hosting and Colocation
Newest Product: Vicidial Agent Only Beep - Beta
http://www.PoundTeam.com # 352-269-0000 # +44(203) 769-2294
williamconley

Postby Smallman » Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:25 am

thank you Gardo! thank you williamconley!

I was able to successfully build a cluster using Vicibox 4.0.3. However, it's behind a ClearOS firewall and setup with proxy bypass. Would this setup be ok for now? I'm still reading articles about IPTables and it's jargon as of now. :D
I opted on a single SAS Drive 15k 300gb for the Database, which I will run backups on a daily basis. I'm still trying to configure RAM drives for the Archive server and I'm lost at getting it to work but I'll get it eventually, I hope.
Now my title is officially Operations/IT Manager, with no increase, till we can get someone to administrate the dialer. :D
Running now for 2 days with 30 Agents simultaneously logged in. Thank you for the guidance! Hoping for more guidance in the future.

Thanks again!
Smallman

Postby williamconley » Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:10 pm

If it works, go with it. But seriously research the simplest method to give each dialer a direct external IP and a 2nd local IP on different network cards before your system gets heavily loaded. the firewall will eventually become an issue and when that moment comes you will need to be ready to just dump it (for the vicidial dialers at least) and use IPtables instead.

note that "Dynamic Good Guys" (published on viciwiki.com) is free and includes instructions for a simple whitelist lockdown before installation of Vicibox 4.X. Even if you don't install DGG, that lockdown is very useful for "no need for a firewall" after you have configured the system for the whitelist method.
williamconley

Postby williamconley » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:39 pm

Smallman wrote:thank you Gardo! thank you williamconley!

I was able to successfully build a cluster using Vicibox 4.0.3. However, it's behind a ClearOS firewall and setup with proxy bypass. Would this setup be ok for now? I'm still reading articles about IPTables and it's jargon as of now. :D
I opted on a single SAS Drive 15k 300gb for the Database, which I will run backups on a daily basis. I'm still trying to configure RAM drives for the Archive server and I'm lost at getting it to work but I'll get it eventually, I hope.
Now my title is officially Operations/IT Manager, with no increase, till we can get someone to administrate the dialer. :D
Running now for 2 days with 30 Agents simultaneously logged in. Thank you for the guidance! Hoping for more guidance in the future.

Thanks again!

1) Vicidial Manager's Manual (I recommend the paid version, but the free version is required reading, cover to cover!!)

2) /usr/src/astguiclient/trunk/docs - read everything in here

3) /usr/share/astguiclient/perl - each of these ".pl" files can be executed with "--help" to get options and often refer to the /docs folder for more information

4) /srv/www/htdocs/agc & /srv/www/htdocs/vicidial - check both of these folder for .php files, and execute them in a web browser. You may get some surprises. (None will damage anything just by looking at them!)

5) Happy Hunting! 8-)
williamconley

Postby Smallman » Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:16 am

thank you williamconley!!! I'm reading all these things and slowly absorbing them. I'll be buying the Manual (paid version) as soon as I get approval. I'm actually setting up another dialer for practice instead of vmware. Got quite a few old pcs to mess with.

thanks again!
Smallman

Postby williamconley » Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:54 pm

good idea to install on any old workstation. you don't get the cool "reset to last saved vm instance" button, but you do get the practice.

seriously consider converting one of those old pcs to a vSphere server in the future. it's a fairly simple install (plug 'n play almost!).
williamconley

Postby Smallman » Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:18 pm

I was finally able to add a Telephony server with direct access to the internet. Sorry took me awhile! I disabled all services and only allowed 1 IP, which is our voip.

I'm currently encountering errors on outbound dialing;

chan_sip.c:13734 handle_response_invite: Re-invite to non-existing call leg on other UA. SIP dialog '6d1fe180461e783a4681d12546988417@111.111.111.111'. Giving up.

I'm pretty sure I looked everywhere for an answer but could not find any and I'm hoping someone can point me at the right direction.

Vicibox 4.0.3
OpenSuSE v.12.3 32-bit w/ PAE and 64-bit
Kernel v.3.7.10
Asterisk v.1.8.23.0-vici
DAHDI v.2.6.1
LibPRI v.1.4.14
Amfletec VoiceSync v.1.3.2
OpenR2 v.1.3.2 for MFC/R2 support
ViciDial SVN Trunk v.2.8-408a build 130711-2208 revision 2005

Running on;
PRIMA ES-1 INTEL XEON E3-1220 3.1GHZ
8GB D3 ECC MEM

Here's my carrier settings;
[APN]
type=peer
host=208.74.75.250
canreinvite=yes
insecure=very
qualify=yes
disallow=all
allow=g729
allow=ulaw
allow=alaw
dtmfcode=rfc2833
context=trunkinbound
nat=no

exten => _91NXXNXXXXXX,1,AGI(agi://127.0.0.1:4577/call_log)
exten => _91NXXNXXXXXX,n,Dial(SIP/${EXTEN:1}@APN,,TtoR)
exten => _91NXXNXXXXXX,n,Hangup()

It's actually a Warning but I'm not getting that from the other server behind a firewall.

Thanks!
Smallman

Return to General Discussion