recording eating lot of disk space

Any and all non-support discussions

Moderators: gerski, enjay, williamconley, Op3r, Staydog, gardo, mflorell, MJCoate, mcargile, Kumba, Michael_N

recording eating lot of disk space

Postby sraza1985 » Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:57 am

how can i modify the conversion script to delete the .wav recording after conversion.
My perception is that after the recording is converted into Mp3. it stays in ORIG directory and another cron entry delete it after 14 days.

I want to make sure that when recording is converted to mp3. it is moved to MP3 directory than only than it is deleted. Im getting over 90GB of disk space utilized everyday in ORIG directory.
Can anyone help me in this.
sraza1985

Re: recording eating lot of disk space

Postby sraza1985 » Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:59 am

I mean to say just as conversion is done (cron runs every 3 minutes i guess). it should also deleted the .wav file in ORIG directory immeditely rather waiting for another cron entry to clean it
sraza1985

Postby santhuarnold » Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:46 am

Hi..
use this, it may helpful to you.

### remove old recordings more than 7 days old. (change the days what you want)
#24 0 * * * /usr/bin/find /(recordings path) -maxdepth 2 -type f -mtime +7 -print | xargs rm -f

Thanks
santhuarnold
ViciBox v.7.0.1| Asterisk 11.21.0-vici | VERSION: 2.12-546a | BUILD: 160328-0316
santhuarnold

Postby sraza1985 » Fri Jun 13, 2014 3:40 am

Thanks Santhuarnold.
But I want to keep the converted recordings (MP3) in the server.
Should i use below
24 0 * * * /usr/bin/find -type f -maxdepth 2 -mtime +7 /var/spool/asterisk/monitor -exec rm -fr {} \;
24 0 * * * /usr/bin/find -type f -maxdepth 2 -mtime +7 /var/spool/asterisk/monitorDone/ORIG -exec rm -fr {} \;

will it keep the recordings of the customers. as i have to keep the mp3 recording for QA and other purposes for 1 year atleast.

Syed
sraza1985

Postby garski » Fri Jun 13, 2014 2:16 pm

use GSM format, that is the lowest format of Voice as I know of. Just 1MB on 10 min call vs 4MB on 3 min call using MP3.

just change this on your crontab:
...AST_CRON_audio_3_ftp.pl --WAV

To:
...AST_CRON_audio_3_ftp.pl --GSM
Vicibox 8.1.iso| VERSION: 2.14-714a | Asterisk 13.27.1 | Multi Server | No Digium/Sangoma Hardware | No Extra Software After Installation | QuadCore Xeon 3.0
garski

Postby boybawang » Fri Jun 13, 2014 11:59 pm

you also would like to put in your crontab rm -rf /var/spool/asterisk/monitorDONE/ORIG && mkdir -p /var/spool/asterisk/monitorDONE/ORIG
Vicidial Installation + Configuration + Support + Custom Development
Download my ebook on installing vicidial for free http://download.vicidial.com/ubuntu/VIC ... 100331.pdf
m: +639172063730
boybawang

Postby williamconley » Sun Jun 15, 2014 6:11 pm

Actually ... you should NOT be storing recordings on the Vicidial dialers at all.

Look for the recording archive script. You should be pushing the recordings to an archive server via ftp. That server should also have http so the links can be pointed to the new file location. And that archive server should be designed for automated backup to avoid loss of data.

Think about it this way: Vicidial hammers hard drives. Eventually they die. And you CAN just restore from the Vicidial DB when that happens to rebuild your server. BUT: Those recordings could easily grow to multiple Terabytes in size. Restoring that would be a nightmare unless it was done on a system that was NOT related to your operational dialer (recordings only, segregated from daily dialer operations).

Also, recordings on the primary dialer are stored in one huge folder. But when they are moved to the archive server they get put in daily folders. So instead of 2,555,233 files in ONE folder, you'll end up with one folder per day with a couple thousand files each. Much easier to manage. It will actually become impossible to even "ls" in the recordings folders eventually. Simple file management functions will fail with too many entries in the index. Been there. LOL

Note that the ftp setup for archiving recordings and the other setup for copying backups is similar. So while you're in there ... set up the backups to push an ftp server as well. Hate to think your HD dies one day and you lose the entire DB and all recordings. Probably not a great day for business. 8-)
Vicidial Installation and Repair, plus Hosting and Colocation
Newest Product: Vicidial Agent Only Beep - Beta
http://www.PoundTeam.com # 352-269-0000 # +44(203) 769-2294
williamconley

Return to General Discussion