DSL vs Broadband

Any and all non-support discussions

Moderators: gerski, enjay, williamconley, Op3r, Staydog, gardo, mflorell, MJCoate, mcargile, Kumba, Michael_N

DSL vs Broadband

Postby Bentfinger » Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:38 am

I have been using VOIP from a broadband connection, but I am sick and tired of the ISP's downtime and network problems. The only other ISP does not offer Broadband, but offers DSL. Can anyone tell me if using DSL as opposed to Broadband (coax to fiber) will present problems?

Thanks.
V.8 2.14-531c BUILD: 170808-1014

Success is 1% Inspiration and 99% Perspiration - TAE
tt-weasels
Bentfinger

Re: DSL vs Broadband

Postby Staydog » Mon Sep 29, 2014 3:55 pm

You can use any Broadband signal, which includes DSL, but DSL is not preferred as it can still run very slowly. DSL, Fiber Optic, Cable Modem and Data T1s will all work without additional equipment. No point in moving backwards in technology, so I will not bore you with PRI T1 details. :)

If you have known ISP issues, there is not a lot you can do other than get a new vendor or host your servers in a data center where they will have multiple vendors and practically unlimited bandwidth. We usually set up a ping plotter to gauge the network, as latency and packet loss will be undetectable on a website, but a nuisance to VoIP traffic. Make sure all your equipment is hard wired in, no wi-fi and that all routers and modems are quality and configured properly. The only other interference I have seen as a direct result of an ISP is on the traffic itself. They tend to block or interfere with SIP traffic, so you may consider running the phones on IAX2 which will also work with the free Zoiper Classic soft phone.

Also, since you are doing all the heavy lifting when you are building up and tearing down the calls on your network, so make sure you have ample up and down load speeds. This will require some math on your part:

Bandwidth
On-site Agents: You will need 80 kilobits per active phone line you plan on using
Remote Agents*: You will need 80 kilobits per active phone line plus 100 kilobits per active agent
*agents from home, as opposed to in your building.
Staydog

Re: DSL vs Broadband

Postby Bentfinger » Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:36 am

Thank you for such a complete answer Staydog. I guessed a lot of that from my experience with Vici, but it is nice to have it confirmed; especially from a moderator such as yourself.
V.8 2.14-531c BUILD: 170808-1014

Success is 1% Inspiration and 99% Perspiration - TAE
tt-weasels
Bentfinger

Return to General Discussion