FXO cards vs T1 cards

Any and all non-support discussions

Moderators: gerski, enjay, williamconley, Op3r, Staydog, gardo, mflorell, MJCoate, mcargile, Kumba, Michael_N

FXO cards vs T1 cards

Postby inthegenes » Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:05 pm

Hi,

I have a quick question, I previously connected an Asterisk PBX with an old analog PBX, a CSK2000, for those interested in the details. The connection was via a T1 card installed in each PBX. A Sangoma T1 card in the Asterisk and a T1 module card in the Nortel. I was able to send calls between both PBXs without any issues once the configuration was correct.

The question is, would the same work with an FXO card and POTS lines?

I have only used FXO cards in the past whereas the FXO sent and received calls from the provider. Whereas an FXS would be used to go directly from carrier or the PBX to a analog hard phone. The FXO in theory would allow the PBX systems to communicate with other once the configs are correct, but I just want to be sure before I spring the cash.
inthegenes

Re: FXO cards vs T1 cards

Postby inthegenes » Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:23 pm

Wow,

No response? Something wrong with my question?
inthegenes

Postby mflorell » Tue Mar 10, 2015 5:25 pm

We hardly have any clients using any kind of PSTN card anymore. Everything is SIP now, and some carriers are refusing to install new lines, instead they are forcing fiber installs here in the USA. As for Sangoma cards, we've been having problems getting them to work with newer versions of Linux.

As for Nortel, it does not exist as a company anymore, and hasn't for several years, so there is not much of a market for interoperability with Nortel at this time.

In theory, what you want to do should be possible, but support for all of the pieces of what you need to do it have been getting worse for the last several years.
mflorell
Site Admin

Postby inthegenes » Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:52 am

Thanks Matt,

(I was wondering why you didn't reply :)

Well unfortunately a lot of companies are still using their outdated Nortel PBXs here in the third world.

I will pitch it to my client. In this case the PBX isn't a Nortel. It's an Avaya, but I am trying to save the client a few bucks. The cost for a SIP license is USD 328 and I was not informed as to what line capacity the Avaya SIP trunk would have.
inthegenes

Return to General Discussion