Web Server vs MySql Server

Any and all non-support discussions

Moderators: gerski, enjay, williamconley, Op3r, Staydog, gardo, mflorell, MJCoate, mcargile, Kumba, Michael_N

Web Server vs MySql Server

Postby chasejordan1 » Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:34 pm

Why is it everyone says the Sql server needs to be the beast of the cluster, but it seems the Web Server is always running at the highest load and has the most activity.

I was running identical Web and Sql servers, and the web server always had the most activity and was using more ram and Cpu usage vs the Sql server?

For me I do have an integrated Avatar program that uses the web form of Vicidial and maybe that is it. But for me it seems I should make my Web Server the beast in comparison to the Sql server.

Thoughts.
chasejordan1

Re: Web Server vs MySql Server

Postby mflorell » Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:38 pm

You can have multiple web servers, but only one master database server.

We have one client using 4 x load balanced apache web servers. You don't have to have a large single web server, in fact it is better to split a large load across multiple web servers because then there is less chance of running out of Linux ports.
mflorell
Site Admin

Postby chasejordan1 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:05 pm

I didn't think of it that way. "linux ports"

Thanks
chasejordan1

Postby mflorell » Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:47 pm

If you ever start to heavily use the Agent API, linux ports will become very important :)

We have seen several large clients have a lot of problems related to running out of available ports on their web servers. This is easily solved by adding another web server.
mflorell
Site Admin

Return to General Discussion