Vicidial/Vicibox and Bandwidth issues

Any and all non-support discussions

Moderators: gerski, enjay, williamconley, Op3r, Staydog, gardo, mflorell, MJCoate, mcargile, Kumba, Michael_N

Vicidial/Vicibox and Bandwidth issues

Postby vhin » Mon Aug 24, 2015 4:58 am

Hello please help, I have bandwidth issues with vicidial, i dont know what the problem is, but whenever i turn on our vicibox(server) we can actually see in our "bandwidth graph monitor" that it eats a lot of bandwidth, and we start to have some call issues and choppy lines.. Please help, and how can i prevent packet loss?
vhin

Re: Vicidial/Vicibox and Bandwidth issues

Postby omarrodriguezt » Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:15 am

What codecs are you using?
When you post dont forget to post your server installation method, and vicidial /asterisk version
http://www.ITContinental.com
Dedicated USA Servers - Vicibox - Vicidial - Limesurvey - Vtiger CRM - More than 15 years experience - Hablamos Español
omarrodriguezt

Re: Vicidial/Vicibox and Bandwidth issues

Postby bobchaos » Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:59 am

generally speaking, you want to plan 64kbps (symmetrical) per line. Thats enough for most codecs to function. As for managing bandwidth, there's two ways to go about it: Fancy QoS/traffic shaping on your network (and most folks on this forum will tell you it's a big NO-NO but I do it successfully with multiple clients) or throwing more bandwidth at the problem. Best warn you, if you go the QoS road, you'll have a hard time finding help here as the general consensus is that you fix bandwidth problems by throwing more bandwidth at it.

In the end, you have to keep in mind that VoiP is bandwidth intensive no matter what you do. May be best to look into dedicated lines. PRIs are the way to go if you ask me, since at some points most calls go digital you might as well have a digital line ready, minimizes the number of middlemen. If you're sticking to VoiP, ask your internet provider about getting a dedicated SIP trunk, this way bandwidth allocation becomes your provider's problem.
bobchaos

Return to General Discussion