OpenSuse or CentOS

Any and all non-support discussions

Moderators: gerski, enjay, williamconley, Op3r, Staydog, gardo, mflorell, MJCoate, mcargile, Kumba, Michael_N

OpenSuse or CentOS

Postby benghoi » Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:15 am

Hi guys,

I hope you can help me with this. Which is better for Vicidial, OpenSuse or CentOS? and what are the differences? which of them are handy and friendly? or very recommend?

hoping for your positive response.

Thanks!
Vicibox5.0.3 64bit | Vicidial: 2.8-431a | Build: 140314-1134 | Asterisk: 1.8
Full Server
benghoi

Re: OpenSuse or CentOS

Postby williamconley » Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:48 am

Vicibox.com's .iso installer uses OpenSuSE. It's also the official installer and installs the latest version of Vicidial (because it downloads a fresh copy during installation!).

Vicibox also installs a clean, unaltered version of Vicidial in which everything ... works! LOL

GoAutoDial, however, installs a slightly modified version of Vicidial that's always outdated (ok: perhaps the day it's published it's up to date, I never checked). But the modified interface always interferes in Vicidial operations. It does also have a few extra wizards and a cuter agent interface, but that agent interface often has freshly installed bugs from the redesign. GoAutoDial's installer is also incapable of Clustering, which can be awkward when you want to grow your system.

Thus my advice is always this: IF you MUST have CentOS (due to corporate software restrictions, or a CentOS addiction of some sort) go with GoAutoDial. It's stable install and it works well.

IF you do NOT have a deep-seated need for CentOS, install with the latest version of the Vicibox.com .iso image. Kumba goes to a great deal of effort to maintain it and there are hundreds (thousands?) of call centers testing this installer and reporting bugs ... and they Get Fixed! 8-)
Vicidial Installation and Repair, plus Hosting and Colocation
Newest Product: Vicidial Agent Only Beep - Beta
http://www.PoundTeam.com # 352-269-0000 # +44(203) 769-2294
williamconley

Postby mflorell » Mon Oct 26, 2015 11:54 am

We do not recommend using CentOS for anything, let alone Vicidial. There are just too many problems with how it is maintained and built, and how their frozen kernel causes all sorts of issues on high-load systems like Vicidial.

That said, we use OpenSuSE exclusively at our hosted facility of hundreds of servers. We regularly install OpenSuSE for our hundreds of premises clients, and there are thousands of other ViciBox ISO installer users out there that use OpenSuSE for Vicidial as well.
mflorell
Site Admin

Postby boybawang » Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:00 pm

OpenSuse or Ubuntu Server 10 upwards
Vicidial Installation + Configuration + Support + Custom Development
Download my ebook on installing vicidial for free http://download.vicidial.com/ubuntu/VIC ... 100331.pdf
m: +639172063730
boybawang

Return to General Discussion