Astricon 2006?

Any and all non-support discussions

Moderators: gerski, enjay, williamconley, Op3r, Staydog, gardo, mflorell, MJCoate, mcargile, Kumba, Michael_N

Anyone going to AstriCon 2006?

Yeah I'm going! See you'all there!
50%
Not going, not interested.
No votes
Can't go; I'd love to go but can't afford/ don't have time off.
50%
Undecided
No votes
huh? What is AstriCon?
No votes

Total votes : 6

Astricon 2006?

Postby kchung » Wed Sep 20, 2006 9:52 pm

AstriCon 2006 Dallas is coming up fast (October 24 - 27 2006)! Anyone planning to go?

Website

Personally I'd love to go but can't afford it.

unless someone sponsors me!
kchung

Postby enjay » Wed Sep 20, 2006 10:09 pm

Unfortunately deer season starts 10/27 and well thats where my redneck ass will be :D
enjay

Postby mflorell » Thu Sep 21, 2006 4:01 am

Not only am I going, but I will be speaking on tutorial day and I will have a booth for VICIDIAL in the Open Source Showcase.

I will be there all four days, so if anyone else is going, let me know and we can have a VICIDIAL-users meeting :)
mflorell
Site Admin

Postby Op3r » Thu Sep 21, 2006 7:57 am

Im gonna make this as a STICKY topic. I like to go if only matt will send me an invitation so that I can get a visa from the US embassy!
Get paid for US outbound Toll Free calls. PM me.
Op3r

Postby mflorell » Thu Sep 21, 2006 9:39 am

Op3r wrote:Im gonna make this as a STICKY topic. I like to go if only matt will send me an invitation so that I can get a visa from the US embassy!

What country are you from?

I have heard that the US has been rather harsh in issuing Visas in the last few years, but hey they just let the president of Iran in this week so anything is possible :)
mflorell
Site Admin

Postby kchung » Thu Sep 21, 2006 11:44 am

Well, those guys are on diplomatic visas, and are rather high profile. Also, I'm pretty sure the US Govt has various agents keeping tabs on them.

Your IPs seem to indicate you're in the Philippines.

Depending on what country you are from, obtaining a travel visa *can* be easy. My wife's family went into the US Consulate in Hong Kong to get a visa for our wedding and all of them were granted 10 year travel visas without much trouble!

Check with the local US Embassy at your country, as they're the ones that make the decision. Looks like you'd fall under a B-1 visa: http://www.unitedstatesvisas.gov/business.html
http://philippines.usembassy.gov/wwwhniv7.html

From the site:
Business – a letter from the U.S. organization indicating the purpose of the trip, the intended length of stay, and the firm’s intent to defray costs, if applicable. Applicants traveling on business for a Philippine-based employer should present a letter from the employer outlining the travel and business plans, including dates of travel.

So, your own employer can draft a letter for you, as wel as Matt can draft a letter inviting you.
kchung

Postby Op3r » Thu Sep 21, 2006 1:26 pm

Yep Im from the philippines. And yes Getting a VISA from the US embassy is very very very very hard. Now If only Matt can draft an invitation to me that will increase my chance to get a visa to get to astricon :D and no I wont stay long in the US cos I like working here in .ph cos of all these money vicidial is giving me ahehehehehehheh

y0 matt send me an invite :D will gladly help you on astricon !
Op3r

Postby gerski » Thu Sep 21, 2006 1:59 pm

Hahaha. in that case. Contribute Vicidial :) share your blessings! haha.
gerski

Postby gerski » Thu Sep 21, 2006 2:20 pm

Op3r wrote:Yep Im from the philippines. And yes Getting a VISA from the US embassy is very very very very hard. Now If only Matt can draft an invitation to me that will increase my chance to get a visa to get to astricon :D and no I wont stay long in the US cos I like working here in .ph cos of all these money vicidial is giving me ahehehehehehheh

y0 matt send me an invite :D will gladly help you on astricon !

Hi Op3r. What's the name of your company in Philippines? And are you located in Manila?
gerski

Postby mflorell » Thu Sep 21, 2006 2:32 pm

Op3r - Please post what one of these invitation letters should look like and I will send one to you.

Will a PDF work or does it have to be a printer and mailed invitation?
mflorell
Site Admin

Postby Op3r » Thu Sep 21, 2006 2:54 pm

Hi matt,

It should be printed and snail mailed. The look should be like an semi formal invitation to help you guys out for vicidial on astricon or something. thats it :D y0 matt Im gonna pm you my mailing address :D

gerski yep im based here in manila. working as a consultant to some call centers and full time to echosystem (where j peter loh and vic jolin are working) :D
Op3r

Postby gerski » Thu Sep 21, 2006 11:07 pm

hello...

me too im from philippines... we also need a visa :shock:

to op3r.. nice meeting you.. maybe we can meet one of these days 8)
gerski

Postby kchung » Mon Sep 25, 2006 2:30 pm

My wife is actually encouraging me to go to Astricon!

Does anyone got any suggested accomidations or extra passes?
kchung

Postby mflorell » Mon Sep 25, 2006 2:53 pm

I'm just staying at the event site(Westin Park Central). As for extra tickets, I get in free for speaking, and usually only the sponsor companies have extra passes that they give away.
mflorell
Site Admin

Postby kchung » Wed Nov 01, 2006 7:20 pm

I just noticed the ppoint slides at the main page (http://www.eflo.net/Astricon2006_matt_f ... /img0.html)

Was there any recordings of your presentation?

How did stuff go? Who else went?
kchung

Postby mflorell » Thu Nov 02, 2006 11:08 am

I talked for just under 2 hours and I don't know of any audio recordings. I was just trying to get set up in time because there was no projector there until 2 minutes before I was supposed to start speaking.

The talk went great, there were lots of people there, standing room only in fact. I took a lot of questions about large Asterisk setups and Call centers and talked to a lot of people that were there afterwards as well.

I met several VICIDIAL users from all over the world. Many from Asia and South America especially. I found out about a lot of VICIDIAL installations that I never knew about as well.
mflorell
Site Admin

Return to General Discussion