I have another question. It concerns distros.

Any and all non-support discussions

Moderators: gerski, enjay, williamconley, Op3r, Staydog, gardo, mflorell, MJCoate, mcargile, Kumba, Michael_N

I have another question. It concerns distros.

Postby easpengren » Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:19 pm

Comparing the two distros, Vicibox and VicidialNow, what are the differences, advantages/disadvantages?

I'm not afraid of a scratch install, either. But I'm just curious.
easpengren

Postby williamconley » Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:46 pm

There will undoubtedly be a lot more (especially from the VicidialNOW and Vicibox crews themselves!) but ...

VicidialNOW: comes with vTiger and the install is as easy as CentOS, but is a Redhat derivitive. If you NEED a Redhat family distro, it's brilliant. If you Really Want a Redhat distro, it's a way to satisfy your hunger. If you need to have vTiger (a CRM) in the same box with pre-built integration and no effort, VicidialNOW is very good.

Vicibox: Supported and Maintained by The Vicidial Group (the Makers of Vicidial) and is simply pure Vicidial. Upgrading the OS does not seem to present any issues since The Vicidial Group will likely be continuing to support this path for quite some time in the future.

If you are not interested in CRM integration or can handle your own (as everything IS in MySQL and PHP already) or if you have a different CRM (which means vTiger doesn't help) or have tried vTiger and found it to not quite be "up there" (all my customers to date, I still don't have one that will use vTiger) ... then Vicibox is the way to go.

I do not recommend scratch install for anyone until they've already had a functioning box for a while (for comparison at least). Not now that Vicibox has come out. And don't forget that CentOS is NOT supported outside VicidialNOW (so a good old-fashioned OS update/upgrade can mean a full reinstall because your VicidialNOW may not work afterwards ...). Vicibox, on the other hand, will automatically upgrade/update itself to the latest version during installation of the OS and just before it runs the script to "install itself".
Vicidial Installation and Repair, plus Hosting and Colocation
Newest Product: Vicidial Agent Only Beep - Beta
http://www.PoundTeam.com # 352-269-0000 # +44(203) 769-2294
williamconley

Return to General Discussion