SSH issues with latest installation

All installation and configuration problems and questions

Moderators: gerski, enjay, williamconley, Op3r, Staydog, gardo, mflorell, MJCoate, mcargile, Kumba, Michael_N

SSH issues with latest installation

Postby Chuckferd » Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:19 pm

Hello,

I created a clean install of vicibox7, at that time I'm able to use slogin. However, right after zypper dup, I'm instantly unable. I can ssh to another machine, but if I then try to ssh back to the machine with the issue I'm unable. So SSH is still recognized, however something problematic. slogin not being a recognized alias simply might be an indication of a great issue.

I've tried the 7.0.3 and 7.0.4 iso and both have the same issue right after zupper dup.

Any thoughts?
Chuckferd

Re: SSH issues with latest installation

Postby Chuckferd » Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:53 am

This is really bizare. I was able to repeat the process on 4 machines now. The incident goes like this:
1 Complete os-install. For the sake of time, use dhcp.
2 Attempt ssh back and forth, no issues.
3 Run zypper dup
4 Attempt ssh back, unable to proceed.
Chuckferd

Postby Vince-0 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:06 pm

What is the exact error?
Does the server respond to pings?

Use verbose ssh connection info and check ssh logs on the server?
Vince-0

Postby Chuckferd » Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:04 pm

Yes, server does respond to pings. There seems to be something with permissions from the openssh install.

1 Successfully ssh into server from a local machine, can ssh/slogin to a differnent server.
2 zypper up -y
Worth noting, zypper had message: "The following 3 package updates will NOT be installed..." openssh is one of of the 3. The other 2 are dahdi-linux and dahdi-linx-kmp-defualt.
3 Tried login in and again, can successfully ssh into server from a local machine, can ssh/slogin to a differnent server.
4 Ran zypper dup
this time zypper installed on of the dahdi-linux, and the openssh.
5 Tried logging in and this time was unable to from a different machine. I can no longer use slogin from local machine, but I can use ssh to get to different machine. Trying to use slogin results in "-bash: /usr/bin/slogin: no such file or directory"

while using verbose on the ssh connection:
The error I get when trying to ssh into the machine is:
"debug1: Authentications that can continue: publickey,password,keyboard-interactive
Permission denied, please try again."

Normally the error you should get for using the wrong password is
"debug1: Authentications that can continue: publickey,keyboard-interactive"

I might have time to dig in later, but for now but for now zypper up is completely fine.

one last thing that might help, part of the zypper dup info that displays is:
The following 2 packages are going to be upgraded: dahdi-linux openssh

The following package is going to change vendor:
openssh openSUSE -> obs://build.opensuse.org/home:vicidial

Has anyone else tried to duplicate this? It seems like for all Vicibox7 installs zypper dup will create an issue for ssh meanwhile zypper up will be perfectly fine, so if you are just trying to get security updates etc for an existing build you should be okay.
Chuckferd

Return to Support