Adding a New Hard Disk Drive to Vicibox

All installation and configuration problems and questions

Moderators: gerski, enjay, williamconley, Op3r, Staydog, gardo, mflorell, MJCoate, mcargile, Kumba, Michael_N

Adding a New Hard Disk Drive to Vicibox

Postby shanepearce » Wed May 17, 2017 10:05 am

Hello,
I installed vicibox and have been using the system for a few months now and it runs really well.

However, i am running out of disk space at the moment. Is there a way for me to add a new hard drive that can store the recordings?

I tried using Win SCP to transfer the files to a back up, but the download keeps failing.

grateful for some assistance here. What are my other options for backup? thank you.

Linux vicibox7 4.1.31-30-default #1 SMP PREEMPT Wed Aug 24 06:20:09 UTC 2016 (de9ddf8) x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
VERSION: 2.12-565a
BUILD: 160827-0917
Asterisk 11.22.0-vici
Installed from ISO on vicibox website.
No customization

Express Install

regards,

Shane
shanepearce

Re: Adding a New Hard Disk Drive to Vicibox

Postby williamconley » Fri Jun 17, 2022 5:30 pm

1) Thanks for posting your Vicidial version. Please try to also include your Installer Version (from .iso is a bit vague, and arguably redundant ... perhaps something more like "Vicibox 9.0.2" ... including the Version of the installer?)

2) You can add a 2nd HD by putting one physically in the box, partitioning it, formatting it, and using /etc/fstab to mount that drive into a folder ... then copying the existing recordings into it and then REmounting the drive into the folder where they used to reside. Now the new drive has all the old files and is in the same place, but has lots of room.

3) BUT: If all your recordings are still in the MP3 folder, it's not surprising that winSCP fails since there may be too many files in that folder for WinSCP to deal with it. In that case, you could mount the new drive in /home instead and then activate FTP on the server and activate the push-audio-to-ftp script. That will slowly empty the FTP folder into the /home/archive/RECORDINGS folder and separate them into daily folders at the same time. And if you mount the drive into that folder (and rebuild the file structure in that drive) while all those folders are empty, it won't be too much of a headache. Take an hour or two to configure, but once completed the ftp push script will just run until it's all done without further intervention. Remember to delete "already copied" files from the FTP folder in addition to deleting the files int he ORIG folder (which is where they are placed after being compressed to MP3, those are redundant at that point).

4) Alternately, you could mount that HD somewhere else and put FTP on it (windows, Mac, Linux, whatever as long as it has FTP) and push all your files off the Vicidial server and onto tht HD with the ftp push script in crontab -e (it's commented out). Credentials it uses are in /etc/astguclient.conf. The script can be activated with opttions to limit it to ONE file (for testing) and persistent connection (drastically speeds up transfers of thousands of files) verification of the transfer before moving the original to the FTP folder (handy to protect against a full FTP server's drive). This would mean that a dead Vicidial server would not require dealing with all those files, they'd live elsewhere on the day you rebuild your Vicidial server. Vicidial's tools are robust. 8-)
Vicidial Installation and Repair, plus Hosting and Colocation
Newest Product: Vicidial Agent Only Beep - Beta
http://www.PoundTeam.com # 352-269-0000 # +44(203) 769-2294
williamconley

Return to Support