Some scratch installation questions for Ubuntu

All installation and configuration problems and questions

Moderators: gerski, enjay, williamconley, Op3r, Staydog, gardo, mflorell, MJCoate, mcargile, Kumba, Michael_N

Some scratch installation questions for Ubuntu

Postby wjohnson133 » Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:25 pm

I am doing a scratch installation on Ubuntu (for fun while waiting for a consultant to have time to do it for us). I have noticed that all of the instructions have outdated packages that seem to be getting harder and harder to find such as:

php5.5
eaccelerator

I was wondering if there were any suggestions outside of being a computer genius on how to use newer software in the place of these two in the scratch installation. Last installation that I did was with a opensuse 42.3 scratch installation where I was lucky that somebody did a patch for eaccelerator and I believe I was able to locate the php5.5 installation for that operating system.
Architecture: x86_64 CPU(s): 2 CPU family: 15 Model: 6
Model name: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.20GHz
Linux version 4.1.39-56-default (geeko@buildhost) (gcc version 4.8.5 (SUSE Linux) )
VICIDIAL VERSION: 2.14-831a BUILD: 211012-0934
wjohnson133

Re: Some scratch installation questions for Ubuntu

Postby williamconley » Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:42 pm

Skip eAccelerator, it's been replaced in most PHP distros with a package that's already included. It was only needed to provide server-side cacheing in the first place and wasn't an actual "necessary" item.

You should perform a parallel installation using Vicibox 8.0.1 in a virtual machine so you can compare these packages between the distros. IE: If you install with Vicibox 8.0.1 and don't find eAccelerator, you don't need it in Ubuntu either.

Another concept is to not get stuck in minutia, just keep going and see how it runs in the end. Then fix whatever's broken (or ask on here if you can't easily identify what's broken).

Happy Hunting! 8-)

PS: You should post the name of the Ubuntu iso installer you used and a link to the instruction set you're working with (or post your own instruction set and link to that). This allows us to help you (if you set off a trigger) and allows those after you to walk in your footsteps and perhaps assist the next guy down the line.
Vicidial Installation and Repair, plus Hosting and Colocation
Newest Product: Vicidial Agent Only Beep - Beta
http://www.PoundTeam.com # 352-269-0000 # +44(203) 769-2294
williamconley

Postby wjohnson133 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:34 am

williamconley wrote:Skip eAccelerator, it's been replaced in most PHP distros with a package that's already included. It was only needed to provide server-side cacheing in the first place and wasn't an actual "necessary" item.

You should perform a parallel installation using Vicibox 8.0.1 in a virtual machine so you can compare these packages between the distros. IE: If you install with Vicibox 8.0.1 and don't find eAccelerator, you don't need it in Ubuntu either.

Another concept is to not get stuck in minutia, just keep going and see how it runs in the end. Then fix whatever's broken (or ask on here if you can't easily identify what's broken).

Happy Hunting! 8-)

PS: You should post the name of the Ubuntu iso installer you used and a link to the instruction set you're working with (or post your own instruction set and link to that). This allows us to help you (if you set off a trigger) and allows those after you to walk in your footsteps and perhaps assist the next guy down the line.

WilliamConley,

Once again I am grateful for your generosity in terms of your knowledge and time. Where do I find the Ubuntu iso installer?
Linux version 4.1.39-56-default (geeko@buildhost) (gcc version 4.8.5 (SUSE Linux) )
wjohnson133

Postby williamconley » Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:54 am

lol: Nice try but you already installed Ubuntu. You have it. I was not referring to a Vicidial .iso installer with the Ubuntu OS on it. But the Ubuntu .iso installer from which you began your Odyssey to get Vici onto Ubuntu. I would suspect it is sitting near your server somewhere.
williamconley

Postby wjohnson133 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:21 pm

Okay so Ubuntu 16.0.4 would be the iso?
wjohnson133

Postby williamconley » Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:37 pm

Quite possibly. If you were to download it again (or have a look at the name of the .iso you downloaded before), that full name is actually useful. It's the "starting line" of your install. That line plus your installation instructions (whichever set you followed) constitute your full installation path. Others have used it, or others may follow, but the beauty of open source is that you don't have to do it alone, necessarily.

And if you share those tiny details, someone else who recognizes it may stop in and say "hey!"

Happens all the time. If you skip the vagueness and drop in the details. Don't post the entire website/page, though. Just a link. If you built your own ... post them somewhere and then post a link (or just post the whole thing here ... and come back and edit it as you make changes). Consider that post your online memory repository for how you did it ... visible to others for commentary and improvements. That's how it's done. ;)

Sorry if that was condescending. But some newbies really don't know it's that easy to get help. 8-)
williamconley

Postby wjohnson133 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:44 am

I dont think it is condescending at all. The problem is i have already started so I am not sure what to post now. It will not be complete.
wjohnson133

Postby williamconley » Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:56 am

wjohnson133 wrote:I dont think it is condescending at all. The problem is i have already started so I am not sure what to post now. It will not be complete.

at the cli:
Code: Select all
history

If any of these entries include "nano" or "vi" (file editors), include the content of the file(s) that were edited (preferably just the items that were changed to avoid bloat).

Note that if you had multiple consoles open, these commands may be out of chronological order. Some OSs put the date/time of the command in the list. So sorting by date/time could be useful (or freak out the system because of intermingled commands, lol). You'll have to see how it looks. But when we work on fresh installs of packages, we capture and store that history in a "discussion tab" in our internal wiki for posterity. In case we forget to document a step, the next guy has a place to start.
williamconley

Return to Support