Properly upgrading older system and keeping it up to date

All installation and configuration problems and questions

Moderators: gerski, enjay, williamconley, Op3r, Staydog, gardo, mflorell, MJCoate, mcargile, Kumba, Michael_N

Properly upgrading older system and keeping it up to date

Postby ConnectedDialer » Tue May 07, 2019 1:30 pm

I have a single server install using vicibox 8.0.1 that I backup daily. Recently I tried to restore it to a fresh vicidial install from vicibox 8.1.2 and admin interface broke due to an sql error:
Code: Select all
Unknown column 'export_gdpr_leads' in 'field list' vicidial_users

Which indicated to me that my database in the backup from the produciton server is incompatible with the latest vicidial.

Since the recommended way to remedy the situation is to update/upgrade vicidial (thanks williamconley to all the suggestions) I have decided to upgrade my production server, but am experiencing few difficulties and have some questions.

This is the version info I see in system_settings tables for my machine which was installed with vicibox 8.0.1 a while ago:
Version:    2.14b0.5
SVN Version:    2872
DB Schema Version:    1527
DB Schema Update Date:    2017-12-11 11:42:04

And this is what I am seeing as latest when I install with vicibox 8.1.2 today:
Version:    2.14b0.5
SVN Version:    3094
DB Schema Version:    1569
DB Schema Update Date:    2019-05-07 10:32:09

When I look at /usr/src/astguiclient/trunk/UPGRADE I see that the latest upgrade instructions are from 2.13 to 2.14, but I already have 2.14 it seems, so how would I upgrade the DB?

Should I import upgrade_2.14.sql regardless?

Will running install.pl on a vicidial that appears to be 2.14 be ok?

I also noticed that my signature has "VICIDIAL: 2.14-644a" as Version, but somehow my version is different now, is there a chance there is some process running on this machine to upgrade vicidial automatically? Where would it be?

Here are other questions that I have:

Has the version (2.14b0.5) not changed since 2017?
What does vicibox-upgrade command do? Can I run it and feel confident things will not break? (this is on a machine that was installed with vicibox 8.0.1)
Is it common for the version to be same but svn_revision and db_schema_version different?
Can I run zipper update and be confident things will not break? Will it update asterisk and potentially break vicidial?

What is the general good practice and list of things I need to do to keep vicidial properly up to date?

Sorry for all these questions, I feel like I'm in a bit of a maze and would appreciate a bit of guidance.
Vicibox 8.0.1 from .iso
VICIDIAL: 2.14-644a BUILD: 171130-0036
Asterisk 11.25.3-vici
Single Server
No Digium/Sangoma Hardware
No Extra Software After Installation
Custom PC - XEON E5-1607
ConnectedDialer

Re: Properly upgrading older system and keeping it up to dat

Postby williamconley » Mon May 13, 2019 3:44 pm

When I look at /usr/src/astguiclient/trunk/UPGRADE I see that the latest upgrade instructions are from 2.13 to 2.14, but I already have 2.14 it seems, so how would I upgrade the DB?

Should I import upgrade_2.14.sql regardless?

Look inside the file. You'll note that after almost every command is an upgrade command for the db_schema. Your system has a DB Schema value in system settings, and it's not the same as the LAST schema in the sql file. So find your schema in the file, delete everything before that entry (they have already run). Then run the remaining commands until your db_schema is that last entry.

Now your db_schema matches your SVN revision level ... and you'll be good to go. A reboot may be in order.

In theory reinstalling via perl install.pl will have NO effect on a server except: reverting any previously edited scripts or configuration file. Thus your "externip" value in "sip.conf" will revert to the commented out stock value in the sample file unless you don't have it install sample files. However, if you don't have it install sample configuration files during the install, and there's a change to one of them to support a new feature ... that feature may not work. Or worse. We recommend that everything aside from externip= be changed somewhere in the GUI instead of changing a hard-coded file that will get hammered during upgrade.

ALL that being said: Stop upgrading randomly. It's a microsoft reflex and should be avoided. Upgrade when you have a new cool feature you NEED. Perhaps over Christmas vacation annually. But not because you have no problems at the office and are in search of something to fix. These are linux servers, and they appreciate being left alone to do their jobs pretty much forever. Regularly check your HD space and health (smartctl or RAID controls). Keep the server cool. And let it do its job. 8-)
Vicidial Installation and Repair, plus Hosting and Colocation
Newest Product: Vicidial Agent Only Beep - Beta
http://www.PoundTeam.com # 352-269-0000 # +44(203) 769-2294
williamconley

Return to Support