Configure inbound SIP Trunk not using DID?

All installation and configuration problems and questions

Moderators: gerski, enjay, williamconley, Op3r, Staydog, gardo, mflorell, MJCoate, mcargile, Kumba, Michael_N

Configure inbound SIP Trunk not using DID?

Postby rockgeneral » Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:11 am

Vicidial Community:

For receiving incoming calls in Vicidial I have always configured a SIP carrier, and then configured DID's for the the DID's I have provisioned with my telco carrier. Then I would route the DID's to In-Groups to send calls to my agents.

From what I've been told, you can configure Vicidial to receiving inbound calls from a telco carrier via SIP directly without configuring specific DID's. My boss has hundreds of TFN's with a carrier that currently sends calls to a different system other than Vicidial and the carrier can only send the calls via SIP Trunk. He wants to get away from sending the calls to this other system and instead send the calls to Vicidial but the carrier says the calls must be sent via a SIP trunk rather than through a DID. I am unfamiliar with this type of config. (There is always a chance that I am misunderstanding him as he is non-technical and is relaying information third hand.)

1) Can someone confirm if this is possible?

2) If so, can anyone provide a sample config that I can use as a jumping off point?

Regards,

Rockgeneral
System Info:
ViciBox_v9.x86_64-9.0.2.iso | Version: 2.14b0.5 SVN: 3551 | DB Schema Version: 1650 | Asterisk 13.29.2-vici | Single Server
rockgeneral

Re: Configure inbound SIP Trunk not using DID?

Postby williamconley » Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:58 pm

Inbound calls from a sip trunk do not require "DID" to be provided during the "INVITE". There is also an option for DNIS or ... nothing. Luckily, Vicidial has a "Default" DID that will catch ALL calls regardless of DID (or lack thereof). How you would differentiate between different calls is a challenge and requires a sip capture of two sip INVITE's that should be handled differently from one another. The INVITEs should have *some* difference between them to allow you to route them differently ... if you need to. There's always a way. lol

DID is merely "Direct Inward Dial" which (in the old days) allowed an inbound call arriving at a PBX to be routed within that PBX instead of merely going to the General Inbound Queue. So no DID means ... goes to the General Inbound Queue. That would be (in Vicidial) the "Default" DID.
Vicidial Installation and Repair, plus Hosting and Colocation
Newest Product: Vicidial Agent Only Beep - Beta
http://www.PoundTeam.com # 352-269-0000 # +44(203) 769-2294
williamconley

Return to Support