Archive Recordings to USB Drive

All installation and configuration problems and questions

Moderators: gerski, enjay, williamconley, Op3r, Staydog, gardo, mflorell, MJCoate, mcargile, Kumba, Michael_N

Archive Recordings to USB Drive

Postby mikeluther » Mon Oct 24, 2022 2:32 pm

VERSION: 2.12-553a
BUILD: 160506-0644
SVN Version: 2527
DB Schema Version: 1458
DB Schema Update Date: 2016-05-06 18:20:19

I am in the process of backing up our recordings to a USB Drive mounted to our VICIDial server. The drive is mounted using mount.exfat (which is a not a Linux-native filesystem format.) When I start the AST_CRON_audio_3_ftp.pl process, I am getting the following message because I do not have the correct file permissions. Since EXFAT is not a native Linux filesystem format, I am not able to correct the file permissions. I am currently on a time-crunch, so I need to know what would be the quickest way to fix this issue.

1) Format the USB Drive to a native-Linux filesystem format. Then I will be able to set the proper permissions.
2) Keep the USB Drive as EXFAT and find another way to correct the permissions issue, then FTP the files to the drive. (I'm not sure what the fix would be or if there is an easy fix.)
3) Create a separate process outside of the FTP / Perl script to copy the files to the USB Drive. Once all files are copied, run ADMIN_update_archive_url.pl to update the links in the recording log.

Thanks!
mikeluther

Re: Archive Recordings to USB Drive

Postby williamconley » Fri Oct 28, 2022 3:19 pm

1) Once you've mounted the drive, you should confirm your ability to write to it with the OS. If you don't have that permission, you've not really mounted the drive.

I am getting the following message because I do not have the correct file permissions.

2) You should provide the actual error, in context, to get technical assistance. Once your OS has permission to write to the drive, then permissions are based on package and location. It's quite likely in this instance that you were attempting to write to a location that didn't exist, which will toss a permission error because ... well, you can't write to a folder that does not exist. 8-)

For instance, if you try to write to a sub-folder in FTP when the FTP user is already "homed" to that same subfolder, you could really be trying to write to double the depth you wanted.

Demonstration: ....

FTP User's Home Folder: /x/y/z
Then you try to write to: /x/y/x

But since the user's home is already /x/y/z, you are really trying to write to /x/y/z/x/y/z ... which doesn't exist and tosses a permission error that's not really about "permission" so much as "where are you".
Vicidial Installation and Repair, plus Hosting and Colocation
Newest Product: Vicidial Agent Only Beep - Beta
http://www.PoundTeam.com # 352-269-0000 # +44(203) 769-2294
williamconley

Return to Support