g729 licensing question

All installation and configuration problems and questions

Moderators: gerski, enjay, williamconley, Op3r, Staydog, gardo, mflorell, MJCoate, mcargile, Kumba, Michael_N

g729 licensing question

Postby garybautista » Fri Apr 11, 2008 4:39 am

I want to use g729 codec because of my limited bandwidth capacity. I have read in the forum that the best set up is for me to use ulaw on the agent side. I have gafachi as my sip provider which accepts g729. I believe that I can set up my trunk to disallow=all and allow=g729. Now my question is how many g729 licenses do I need to purchase? Does it depend on the number of agents since, if I understand it right, transcoding happens on the meetme or do I need to buy g729 licenses equal to the number of simultaneous lines dialing out?
garybautista

G729

Postby faisal_ashraf » Fri Apr 11, 2008 1:29 pm

Well we also use gafachi with G729.

If you want to record calls then you need 2 licenses per agent. otherwise one will do the job without recording the calls.

so you can multiply 2xper agent =your number of agents.

hope it will help you
faisal_ashraf

Postby devafree » Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:50 am

Hello

Why will recording not work on one leg if you do transcoding?

Regards

devafree
devafree

Postby faisal_ashraf » Mon Apr 14, 2008 2:12 pm

sorry for little bit confusion.

I have my PD running with auto messaging for that it requires one license because it's one way call.

On my other asterisk i use recording for each call which require 2 license per agent for batter understanding try.

http://ftp.digium.com/pub/telephony/codec_g729/README

Asterisk two file per call one for outgoing.gsm and one for incoming.gsm and it utilize one license per channel at the end of the call it merges the recording to one file i use gsm to record.
faisal_ashraf

Return to Support