IAX vs SIP Providers

All installation and configuration problems and questions

Moderators: gerski, enjay, williamconley, Op3r, Staydog, gardo, mflorell, MJCoate, mcargile, Kumba, Michael_N

IAX vs SIP Providers

Postby yasserin » Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:54 pm

Hi, I had one question, which protocol vicidial works better IAX or SIP, because I had one provider voip.ms that offer me both of them in the same account, the recommend sip... but after a lot of testing I check that when I use the manual method for outbound calls, SIP calls had problems to detect as a live call until the person from the other side respond the call even if they respond it take some time to get the green letters that say live calls. also it had problems with Answering machines (it not detect it).. but with IAX the calls are detected from the beginning of the call... this help a lot to use the hotkeys and disposition the call inmediatly..

Im using Vicidial now 1.1 and I use the RC4 from the SVN from vicidial 2.0.4

Sorry I posted here, but this is a problem that I had even with the scratch install, and many others voip providers
yasserin

Postby Mika1974 » Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:59 pm

Perhaps http://www.voip-info.org/wiki-IAX+versus+SIP can give you more help. I don't know much about debugging, do know IAX has better NAT handling. Been using IAX for softphone ------ server ----- voicepulse trunk for over a year without any problems.
Mika1974

Postby yasserin » Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:17 pm

thanks for your reply, I understand the pros and cons of using one or another protocol, but my question is specific to vicidial, which protocol matt or another admin think that is the most recommended... and maybe can one of you explain to me why with sip calls, vicidial doesnt recognize it as a live call from the beginning.

thanks
yasserin

Postby mflorell » Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:59 pm

IAX can use less bandwidth. with SIP there should not be problems of sending calls to agents, that is usually a configuration issue.
mflorell
Site Admin

Return to Support