memory leak?

All installation and configuration problems and questions

Moderators: gerski, enjay, williamconley, Op3r, Staydog, gardo, mflorell, MJCoate, mcargile, Kumba, Michael_N

memory leak?

Postby js19 » Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:27 am

I posted about this before, but I've now tried asterisk versions 1.4.21.2 and 1.2.27 (i change the version in admin->servers in admin.php too) with vicidial 2.0.4rc4 on opensuse 11 and after a couple of days the vicidial scripts always gobble up all the memory. Now I know linux memory management isn't the same as windows memory management, but when this happens, weird things start to happen. For example, I started the server last thursday night. It ran well on friday. I checked the memory usage on saturday and it was up to about 990MB. By Monday morning (scripts are still running but nobody was using the system), memory usage was at 1.92GB of 2GB and the dialer started acting weird. Just going off what the floor manager said, everyone was hearing each other talking. The other thing that happens is that calls cut off mid-conversation. FWIW, on my other asterisk/vicidial system with 4GB, I would have the same problem except that it would take a bit longer to saturate the memory. Server load is very low. Each of the systems i'm testing with has a quad core 9450 in it.

I followed scratch install pretty much to the letter, but I think I am going to try setting up a system with the vicidialnow cd to see if there's something I'm just not doing right. Otherwise I'm going to put just asterisk on one server and stick vici/asterisk on a second one so that I don't have to restart the whole phone system when I have problems with vicidial, since that is my biggest concern once customer service is taking calls through the system. I wonder if anyone has any ideas though? I can't imagine how people could use something in production that required constant restarts and it seems like not everyone experiences this. Does anyone have any idea of what it could be? Suse 11 maybe?
js19

Postby mflorell » Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:03 pm

We do Suse 11 installs and do not have this issue at all. I have a Slackware install that has been running for months and there are no memory issues with the perl scripts on there. I don't know what the issue could be.

Could you tell us the specs for your hardware and how you did the install on SuSE?
mflorell
Site Admin

Postby js19 » Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:30 pm

I have two machines that are basically the same:

Intel Quad Q9450 cpu
4GB/2Gb ram
Asus P5Q-E motherboards
Sata hard drives
x100p card

We have 17 agents on vici plus another 6 making calls straight out through asterisk and we aren't using recording yet (waiting until other issues are resolved).

I followed scratch install to the letter and I'm using the 2.6.25.5 kernel. Mysql/apache is running on another machine and I have no problems with it. I think I'm going to copy the kernel config from vicidial now and try recompiling with the kernel they were using. Actually, can you recommend a specific kernel version?
js19

Postby mflorell » Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:04 pm

I believe I still use a 2.6.21 kernel or most systems.
mflorell
Site Admin

Return to Support