Moving actual admin code to CSS

Discussions about new features or changes in existing features

Moderators: gerski, enjay, williamconley, Op3r, Staydog, gardo, mflorell, MJCoate, mcargile, Kumba, Michael_N

Moving actual admin code to CSS

Postby ccabrera » Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:53 pm

One of the fields in which Vicidial always loses when comparing it to other propietary solutions (think Inconcert, Genesys, Aheeva, etc) is how good does it look. Many many times we´ve lost whem competing against other solutions because the interface looks old. And it´s understandable: Vicidial is made for work, not for eye candy.

I´d like to make one of the first steps in avoiding this problemas and move the interface towards a much more fresh look. One of the first steps would be to convert the current HTML code interface to a CSS one. I´m not talking about moving tables to divs, but rather get rid of all the <font> tags, bgcolors and everything else which is hard coded into the PHP code. Use CSS classes and let the CSS govern how does it look.

I´m already testing changes into the admin interface and so far the results are good. Is this a move Matt would be willing to implement into Vicidial´s code so that my efforts are not in vain? Of course I´ll provide .diff files when I´m done. I just want to know that after I finish this will be considered for merging into the SVN code.
Christian Cabrera
Enlaza Comunicaciones - Vicidial Partner
Mexico City
ccabrera

Re: Moving actual admin code to CSS

Postby mflorell » Wed Feb 18, 2015 4:02 pm

Yes I would love to make that change, but whenever anyone has tried it in the past it has resulted in the person doing it giving up or taking so long to do it that they had to start over because of all of the changes in svn/trunk since they started their work.

We have been asked to make this change as well, for the whole admin interface, and the quoted time was over 100 hours, which is more than anyone who has ever requested the quote has wanted to pay.

Keep in mind that there are over 100,000 lines of code in the 100+ files that make up the admin web interface, so this is a very big project.

If you have any questions or any small tasks I can help with, please let me know.
mflorell
Site Admin

Postby covarrubiasgg » Sat Feb 21, 2015 6:34 pm

Christian if you start this project you should create a git branch or svn repo to work on it and i would like to contribute because it is indeed a downside when competing with other solutions. i can toss in a couple of hours per week
covarrubiasgg

Postby omarrodriguezt » Thu Apr 02, 2015 3:58 pm

Thank you!!
http://www.ITContinental.com
Dedicated USA Servers - Vicibox - Vicidial - Limesurvey - Vtiger CRM - More than 15 years experience - Hablamos Español
omarrodriguezt

Return to Features