Remote Install (UK based)

This is the forum used by people to post job openings or requests for quotes or consultations

Moderators: gerski, enjay, williamconley, Op3r, Staydog, gardo, mflorell, MJCoate, mcargile, Kumba, Michael_N

Remote Install (UK based)

Postby RupertMann » Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:44 am

Hi,

I'm looking for some advise..

I'm wanting to rent a dedicated server with a hosting provider (e.g. FastHosts etc etc)

I'm wanting to find out if someone can do a remote install for me, if so what price?

Also - What spec server would you recommend?

Thanks,

Chris
Rupert Mann Associates
RupertMann

Postby williamconley » Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:51 am

Hello, RupertMann

We charge $499 for an install.

Processor:
We recommend at least a Dual Core, but have installed as low as PII (realistically a P4 is as low as you want to go, and then only if you have a couple reps). CPU is the deciding factor (aside from bandwidth, which can easily be changed) in the overall power of the system. Software will be compiled to cpu specific standards, so altering your cpu later would require a recompile, whereas adding ram does not.

Memory:
I would recommend 2G of RAM but 1G may suffice to begin with. We have installed as low as 512M. Memory is easier to alter later than CPU.
Vicidial Installation and Repair, plus Hosting and Colocation
Newest Product: Vicidial Agent Only Beep - Beta
http://www.PoundTeam.com # 352-269-0000 # +44(203) 769-2294
williamconley

Postby zahoorsatti » Wed Nov 26, 2008 1:24 am

Hi

I can do a free of cost remote installation for u.

with regards

Satti
zahoorsatti

Some Tips

Postby vccsdotca » Fri Nov 28, 2008 2:24 pm

Hi Chris,

There are some key things you need to consider here:

The VPS you are thinking of (fasthost etc) is not meant for VoIP traffic. These are web based containers with some big differences...

1) Ports needed. VoIP traffic requires 10000-20000(udp) and 5060(tcp). Unless you have absolute control over your VPS firewall (unlikely) you will not even get a dial tone.
2) Bandwidth. Not to be confused with the amount of traffic they give you per month, this means the amount of bandwidth you can utilize at any given time. For example, an single VoIP call uncompressed will require 87kb up and down for the entire call.
3) The hardware being recommended by posters are fair for physical installations. How ever, a VPS requires less actual hardware specs due to virtualization being much more efficient at utilizing the system resources.

If you would like some other insightful information on choosing support providers check out a small guide that I made at www vccs ca/docs/Choosing-Support.pdf

I can offer you both vicidial hosting/installation and support at reasonable rates. Send me a message or email for more details.

Thanks,

Matthew Martin
VCCS
www vccs ca
vccsdotca

Postby williamconley » Fri Nov 28, 2008 7:45 pm

1) Ports needed. VoIP traffic requires 10000-20000(udp) and 5060(tcp). Unless you have absolute control over your VPS firewall (unlikely) you will not even get a dial tone.

Except IAX which only uses one port and can break through firewalls fairly well. Also, if you are paying for a dedicated server you should be able to open any port you like (for instance a dedicated server at a facility like Atlantic.net). In which case there is no firewall, you must supply your own, and this obviously gives full control over it.

2) Bandwidth. Not to be confused with the amount of traffic they give you per month, this means the amount of bandwidth you can utilize at any given time. For example, an single VoIP call uncompressed will require 87kb up and down for the entire call.

Absolutely, whether you have a co-located box, a rented box, or a local install BANDWIDTH and CPU are the two primary factors to consider. You must make sure you are realistic in your expectations based on your available bandwidth.

3) The hardware being recommended by posters are fair for physical installations. How ever, a VPS requires less actual hardware specs due to virtualization being much more efficient at utilizing the system resources.

I belief that RupertMann is expecting a "dedicated" box to be ... a physical machine dedicated to HIM. Not a virtual box. Are you saying that you are renting vicidial installs successfully inside virtual boxes? That sounds cool. How many agents/lines can you support with an installation?

All valid points worthy of discussing before an installation "goes ahead".
williamconley

UK Provider

Postby RupertMann » Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:52 am

Can anyone suggest a UK host that can provide a cheap DEDICATED box.

I was of the understanding that it cant be run from a virtual server?
RupertMann

Postby Op3r » Mon Dec 01, 2008 3:45 pm

all I can squeeze from a vps is up to 3 agents. More than that and the headaches begins.
Get paid for US outbound Toll Free calls. PM me.
Op3r

Postby RupertMann » Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:59 pm

thats fine.

I wont be running it on a VPS, i'll be running it on a dedicated server.

I'm looking at the below:

uk2. net/dedicated-servers/

"Bronze" package looks ok? Whats your recomendations?
RupertMann

Postby williamconley » Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:18 pm

it looks good to me, but i've never seen numbers on what the bandwidth usage is monthly on a vicidial box with, say 10 agents dialing a 6 hour shift. and they mention "lower price with longer contract", so be careful you don't sign something that requires multi-year and turns out to be capable of 2 agents without paying exhorbitant "overage" charges.
williamconley

Postby vccsdotca » Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:08 am

RupertMann wrote:thats fine.

I wont be running it on a VPS, i'll be running it on a dedicated server.

I'm looking at the below:

In theory this would be generous hardware. How ever as I mentioned before, you will need Dedicated Bandwidth. This is completely seperate from "Monthly Traffic" or "Network Speed". You need to inquire about how much dedicated bandwidth they will give you at any given time. Also, if you're using SIP termination it does not matter where your VPS is hosted. I would also suggest if you have little to no experience with VoIP and/or network design your firewall configuration could be a major hassle and possible security risk.
vccsdotca

Postby tahiralmas » Sat Dec 06, 2008 11:09 am

We can help you for an install just $299

Tahir Almas
ICT Innovations
http://www.ictinnovations.com
tahiralmas

Return to Jobs - Requests for Consultation