Multi-Tenant available on CE?

General and Support topics relating to ViciDialNow and GoAutoDial ISO installers

Moderators: enjay, williamconley, Op3r, Staydog, gardo, mflorell, MJCoate, mcargile, Kumba, s0lid

Multi-Tenant available on CE?

Postby basejumper » Thu Jun 26, 2014 5:17 pm

Is Multi-Tenant available on CE?
Vicibox 4.0.3 from .iso | Version 2.8-416a Build 131016-2112| Asterisk 1.4.44 | SVN Version 2038 | Clustered/5 | No Digium/Sangoma Hardware | No Extra Software After Installation | 2 x Xeon E5410 8GB | read both manuals | In Production since 3/2011
basejumper

Re: Multi-Tenant available on CE?

Postby williamconley » Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:53 pm

Does goautodial have multitenent at all?

If so, it would likely be a requirement that the code be available (not that it be included in his .iso, just available for anyone who is using it).

Do note that if his multi-tenant is accomplished through virtualization, then the code may not be different at all. In which case it's a configuration nightmare, not a "code release" issue.
Vicidial Installation and Repair, plus Hosting and Colocation
Newest Product: Vicidial Agent Only Beep - Beta
http://www.PoundTeam.com # 352-269-0000 # +44(203) 769-2294
williamconley

Postby basejumper » Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:38 pm

From the post here from Gardo: memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=249 I gathered they did...

gardo wrote:
Some of the codes we've put into makes Vicidial multi-tenant (for our purposes). We've also made a "wizard' of some sort that automatically creates a set of users, campaigns and phone extensions automatically. .

Guess I am looking for a clarification on the definition of "multi-tenant"
Vicibox 4.0.3 from .iso | Version 2.8-416a Build 131016-2112| Asterisk 1.4.44 | SVN Version 2038 | Clustered/5 | No Digium/Sangoma Hardware | No Extra Software After Installation | 2 x Xeon E5410 8GB | read both manuals | In Production since 3/2011
basejumper

Postby williamconley » Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:00 pm

Perhaps you should rent from him ... and then you'd be entitled to his code if you are using it.

Multi-tenant = clients who do not see each others campaigns/extensions/users/ingroups/carriers or anything else.

He leases a new seat or room to someone and has a script that "builds" a new vicidial instance in some fashion. But whether that's a new virtual web server and set of contexts in asterisk (to segregate calls and callers) or some other combination is entirely up to Gardo. And if it's an installation script, that may not be covered under the GPL since you wouldn't be using it (you'd be using the Vicidial interface ... which may still be "stock"). But that's between paying customers and Gardo ... and between Gardo and Matt. Customer's have the right to the code IF Matt enforces his distribution license AND if the code in question is derived from Matt's code (or related in any way covered by the licensing).

At this stage, I'm not betting on it being released. But I've been wrong before. 8-)
williamconley

Postby basejumper » Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:43 pm

williamconley wrote:At this stage, I'm not betting on it being released. But I've been wrong before. 8-)

Looks like this may be one of those times again (I see you posted to the above referenced thread, but may have missed the later posts? or am I missing something?)...He has already released it in the same thread as above (I have not looked at it yet, but just DL'd the files)

gardo wrote:Hey Guys,

Here are the source code for the modified Vicidial we're using in our GoAutoDial cloud call center platform.

GoAutoDial agent UI: http://goautodial.org/attachments/download/720/goautodial-agent-ce.zip

GoAutoDial reports (GoReports) add-ons: http://goautodial.org/attachments/download/722/goreports.zip

GoAutoDial admin add-ons: http://goautodial.org/attachments/download/721/goautodial-admin-ce.zip

The codes are compatible with GoAutoDial CE 2.1. They will work out of the box except for the admin add-ons. You need to clean the admin add-on codes to work on a default GoAutoDial CE 2.1 (remove some A2billing mysql statements and etc).

Enjoy! Happy hacking!

My question was actually poised to Gardo, hence why I posted it here...

williamconley wrote:Perhaps you should rent from him ... and then you'd be entitled to his code if you are using it.

Where did THAT come from??? I am upgrading the Vici cluster we have been running for over 3 years now, and am entertaining the idea of incorporating the GoAutoDial stuff as it looks impressive, and Gardo has appeared to do GREAT work and exemplify knowledge on the posts I have seen from him...

williamconley wrote:Multi-tenant = clients who do not see each others campaigns/extensions/users/ingroups/carriers or anything else.

That is what I was talking about...Just wanted to clarify I wasn't asking something with wrong terminology or missed it being used in another context.

@williamconley it doesn't appear that you have the information I am asking about or the ability to speak on behalf GoAutoDial CE which is the area of the forum I posted in here...why did you respond to this??? (Please don't even bother answering that) @williamconley no further response to this thread is needed!

Now back to my original question towards Gardo or someone who can answer it from that camp...Is Multi-Tenant available on CE?

Forgive me if it is addressed in the files you provided Gardo, I will look through them. I was just trying to getting a quick answer prior to doing that, as there is a lot on the plate right now with completely upgrading our set up...and the GoAutoDial stuff REALLY looks interesting and clean...I could see it be a good move to add it to our upgrade possibly.
basejumper

Postby williamconley » Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:25 am

He has already released it in the same thread as above (I have not looked at it yet, but just DL'd the files)

If those posts don't mention multi-tenant, then it's a fair question. But my experience is that this piece of the puzzle is usually missing (even from Gardo's posts to date) EXCEPT in the base Vicidial code that's published by The Vicidial Group. It's building slowly, and getting very close to actual multi-tenant.

williamconley wrote:Perhaps you should rent from him ... and then you'd be entitled to his code if you are using it.
Where did THAT come from???

Um ... that came from the reality of earlier conversations and the licensing model of Vicidial and Goautodial. Gardo isn't required to release his installation scripts any more than Kumba is required to release his SuseStudio sources. The open source packages involved are Vicidial and GoAutoDial. The installers for those packages can be proprietary unless they are derived from an open source project. Most install scripts are hand-built, so they are not covered by the "must release" licensing of GNU/GPL.

But I digress. I will happily block your posts in the future. Happy Hunting. 8-)
williamconley

Postby gardo » Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:28 pm

Those posts were ages ago. :D

We have completely rewritten the GOautodial administration pages (and call it GOadmin) from scratch using the PHP framework Code Igniter. Light and easy on the resources and very easy to maintain and port the code. But to answer the question, "is multi-tenant available on CE", it's not for now. It's only available through our commercial offerings via our cloud platform. You can check http://goautodial.com for more details.
http://goautodial.com
Empowering the next generation contact centers
gardo

Postby williamconley » Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:57 pm

This thread appears to have been edited in some fashion. Looks like I'm talking to myself in the end. And that's obviously not possible because it's well-known that I'm paranoid, not schizophrenic. Hm.

That being said: Shall I presume then that your "multi-tenant" code is not derived from any other open-source code, and you are not releasing it simply because it would be far too much work to package it for release (and because you are not required to do so because it's not a derivative ...)?
williamconley

Postby gardo » Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:13 pm

Hahaha! It might have been edite. I was actually going over the conversations and noticed that something is quite not in order.

Your assumption is of course correct. We can't really keep the code to ourselves (for now) if we borrowed it from some other open source project can't we?
http://goautodial.com
Empowering the next generation contact centers
gardo

Postby williamconley » Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:31 pm

I actually did some research on this for a client (who was annoyed at a CRM company ... but we won't go there). It turns out that the license-holder is really the only one with the power. If they fail to assert their license, the end-user can often just be bummed out. In some cases at least.

And then there's the concept of demonstrating that the software (the source of which you have not seen) is GNU. Not an easy task. Many of these rules apply more to compiled code than to script-based systems. But then again, many script-based systems generate "comments" which can (and often do) contain those notes about the original author and GNU-ness of the package.

If you wrote your own package for this stuff from scratch, but it "controls" other packages, there's definitely an argument that your code is NOT open source any more than Kumba's installation scripts are. Vicidial itself is open, but anything not derived from Vicidial ... must use licensing from whatever it was derived from. For instance, we often copy a Vicidial perl script to accomplish another task. We leave the licensing in place but change it to "original file: ..." so the user knows where we got the original code. Then we add notes about what our version of the script does.

But in all cases, the script gets installed on a client server and they then have access to the source (if they want it).

In the end, it's all kosher as long as the people who wrote the code get credit for what they wrote and don't get blame for stuff they did not write. The nature of GNU.
williamconley

Return to ViciDialNow - GoAutoDial