large cluster using some virtualization?

Support forum for the ViciBox ISO Server Install and ISO LiveCD Demo

Moderators: enjay, williamconley, Staydog, mflorell, MJCoate, mcargile, Kumba

large cluster using some virtualization?

Postby dragn-fire » Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:40 am

I know it's not recommended to look into using virtualization for production, but is some of a cluster setup safe for virtualization? We're looking at setting up a 1000 seat dialer (actually 2, 2 locations for redundancy). I know the DB server will need to be quite the beast with multiple load-balanced webservers etc... but instead of looking at a 40+ server setup can any portion be virtualized to save in space and other components physical? I would be using vicibox 7.04.

Thanks

DF
dragn-fire

Re: large cluster using some virtualization?

Postby mflorell » Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:48 am

You will actually need more hardware(and spend more money for it) when you virtualize the OS in order to reliably get the same capacity in VICIdial.

Virtualization adds more points of failure and more underlying system load, as well as adding a CPU blocking mechanism to the mix.

We've consulted with a lot of companies that have tried, and they all run into the same roadblocks. The ones that do end up pushing forward with it end up with much lower capacity per dialer and a lot more machines. They also have a much less stable system that is susceptible to a lot more problems with voice quality and VICIdial actions being executed reliably.
mflorell
Site Admin

Return to ViciBox Server Install and Demo