New ViciBox Manual at docs.vicibox.com

Support forum for the ViciBox ISO Server Install and ISO LiveCD Demo

Moderators: enjay, williamconley, Staydog, mflorell, MJCoate, mcargile, Kumba

New ViciBox Manual at docs.vicibox.com

Postby Kumba » Wed Jun 07, 2023 1:13 am

It's here: https://docs.vicibox.com/

So the new ViciBox Manual is live but it is still missing the Phase 2 instructions. I will hopefully have that finished up this week so it can launch with ViciBox v.11.

I've got some place holders for the things I am going to fill out. I'll probably remove the how to assign a WAN/LAN IP from the networking section, or just link to the Phase 1.5 Static IP setup. The rest of what's there will likely stay.

I'm still not sure if vicibox-ssl will go under networking or some other new section like configuration or services. Overall I think the new format is going to work great. I still need to do some of the instructions to get them to the same sort of aesthetic I'm looking for. The Phase 1.5 instructions are what everything will finally end up looking like.
Kumba

Re: New ViciBox Manual at docs.vicibox.com

Postby dspaan » Fri Jun 16, 2023 3:51 am

Looks good, i can probably help with some articles. In the other thread you wrote:

If you want to submit something to the docs that goes over how to do a basic installation or setup of something that should be fine. For example, submitting a page to the docs that show what to put into the Admin --> Carriers section for Carrier "XYZ" to work should be fine.

But that sounds more like 'Vicidial documentation' as opposed to 'Vicibox'. Will this be a complete guide for Vicidial or only the installation of Vicibox?

If it's going to be a total documentation portal for everything Vicidial than i propose to migrate these docs too:
http://vicidial.org/docs/
Regards, Dennis

Vicibox 9.0.1
Version: 2.14b0.5
SVN Version: 3199
DB Schema Version: 1588
Build: 200310-1801
dspaan

Postby martinch » Fri Jun 16, 2023 1:09 pm

Thanks @Kumba this is great stuff. Really clear and helpful information here.
Project Lead @ mDial -> https://github.com/TheBlode/mDial
martinch

Postby Kumba » Wed Sep 06, 2023 2:10 am

I added a new bugfix section for 11.0.0 and 11.0.1. I also added some more sections like the MD Raid1 setup part for the MD installation image. I'll probably add a section for the --restore flag of vicibox-install as well.

If anyone has any suggestions on other things to add to it let me know.
Kumba

Postby Kumba » Fri Sep 08, 2023 4:48 pm

dspaan wrote:But that sounds more like 'Vicidial documentation' as opposed to 'Vicibox'. Will this be a complete guide for Vicidial or only the installation of Vicibox?

If it's going to be a total documentation portal for everything Vicidial than i propose to migrate these docs too:
http://vicidial.org/docs/

Well the idea behind the ViciBox Manual is for anything that's ViciDial adjacent on the back end. So a good example would be if someone had an implementation of Fail2Ban that worked with or around ViciDial/ViciBox. Such an implementation would require you to log into the CLI and start hacking away at stuff under the hood. That's the sort of thing I was envisioning for the ViciBox Manual.

This to me could apply to things like backup/migration instructions, VPN setups, carrier issues, or even a cursed VM section. I converted the ViciBox Manual to a community project to make it easier to participate. That's why it's sourced on github and hosted by readthedocs. The restructured text format takes a hot minute to get used to and I still need to add a style/coding guide for things. There is already some of that on there but that's more for reading conventions. There's a handful of actual coding conventions that are user defined that have to be followed but it's not too bad.

As far as legacy ViciDial docs I'm not opposed to moving those into the ViciBox Manual. What I am mostly looking to add myself are things that deal with the CLI and hacking around in the OS. If there's a particular one that you are interested in having included then you are welcome to submit it. If you want to do the initial work of getting it laid out I can then go through and figure out how to best integrate it in. The idea should be that what gets submitted is reformatted to make it easier to read and understand. This would include breaking the document down into various sections, adding screenshots or explanations or code blocks where needed, etc. At a minimum any submission should take the original text and chop it down into readable sections. Adding screenshots or any of that is up to whoever is doing the work.

What I want to avoid is just a copy-paste blob of the original text. If that is all that's needed then I can create a "Legacy/Other Docs" sections on the ViciBox Manual to link to them. Might not be a bad idea to add that anwyays.
Kumba

Postby carpenox » Sat Sep 09, 2023 12:15 pm

I've got all that kind of stuff on my blog if you're interested it's at the link in my signature
Alma Linux 9.3 | Version: 2.14-911a | SVN Version: 3815 | DB Schema Version: 1710 | Asterisk 18.18.1
www.dialer.one -:- 1-833-DIALER-1 -:- https://linktr.ee/CyburDial -:- WhatsApp: +19549477572 -:- Skype: live:carpenox_3
carpenox

Return to ViciBox Server Install and Demo