Do you have to install opensuse to install vicidial?

Support forum for the ViciBox ISO Server Install and ISO LiveCD Demo

Moderators: enjay, williamconley, Staydog, mflorell, MJCoate, mcargile, Kumba

Do you have to install opensuse to install vicidial?

Postby 568129 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:28 am

In the instructions for the vicibox installation from http://download.vicidial.com/iso/vicibo ... nstall.pdf
if I install vicidial from the ViciBox_Redux.i686-3.1.13.iso do I have to install the Open Suse Linux operating system forcibly in phase 1 as is in the instructions above or can I already have linux installed on my server and just omit the base os install in phase 1 and go straight to phase 2 which is the vicidial installation.

In other words can the server where you install the vicibox server have an existing linux operating system upon which you can install vicidial or

Do you have to forcibly install install the open suse linux which comes with the vicibox before you install vicidial?

Does the server where you install vicidial have to have a clean hard drive?

Postby williamconley » Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:06 pm

You must use the Scratch Install Instructions (Google Is Your Friend!) if you want to NOT use the .iso installation method. The .iso installation does not "just" install the OS, it installs a special version.

That being said: If you inspect the installation scripting (pre-seed plus menuing options), you may be able to duplicate that environment fairly well and then continue with the installation ... but that's actually MORE work than just a Scratch Install.

Perhaps you should include the reason you do not want to (or cannot) use the .iso installation method?

Short answer: YES you must forcibly install the OS to use this installation method.
Vicidial Installation and Repair, plus Hosting and Colocation
Newest Product: Vicidial Agent Only Beep - Beta
http://www.PoundTeam.com # 352-269-0000 # +44(203) 769-2294
williamconley

Postby 568129 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:13 pm

I don't have an issue with whether I install the ISO or not. I just want to know if it is required to install the os that comes with the iso or can i just install my own version of linux say ubuntu 10.4 lts and then use the iso to install vicidial?

Is that possible?

Postby Michael_N » Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:53 pm

why do you wish to complicate stuff?
Michael_N

Postby williamconley » Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:19 pm

the purpose of the iso install is to install the os. so ... nope. what you ask cannot be done.

however: if you want to use ubuntu, you can install vicibox 1.0.0RC2 instead. (it's old, but you can upgrade vicidial after installation completes with the upgrade instructions)
Vicidial Installation and Repair, plus Hosting and Colocation
Newest Product: Vicidial Agent Only Beep - Beta
http://www.PoundTeam.com # 352-269-0000 # +44(203) 769-2294
williamconley

Return to ViciBox Server Install and Demo