ViciBox v.5.0 Beta Testers needed!

Support forum for the ViciBox ISO Server Install and ISO LiveCD Demo

Moderators: enjay, williamconley, Staydog, mflorell, MJCoate, mcargile, Kumba

ViciBox v.5.0 Beta Testers needed!

Postby Kumba » Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:06 pm

The new v.5.0 Beta copies are up here: http://download.vicidial.com/iso/vicibox/server/beta/

I need people to test installing them on whatever hardware you want. If some of the more advanced users want to test things like the new vicibox-upgrade or the --restore option in vicibox-install please give me feedback.

You can also make these ISO's into USB variants using the instructions here: http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Live_USB_sti ... _.28GUI.29

Some noteworthy changes made in v.5.0 are:

- Finally added the --restore flag to vicibox-install to allow an easier way to replace or upgrade old servers
- Added vicibox-upgrade to allow you to upgrade the DB Schema and local SVN versions, does not modify crontab or configuration files (too many unknowns there)
- Asterisk v.1.8.22
- DAHDI v.2.6.1 (Maintains v.1.4 compatibility)
- LibPRI v.1.4.14
- OpenR2 v.1.3.2
- VoiceSync v.1.3.2
- MariaDB v.5.5.29
- Apache v.2.2.22
- ViciDial SVN 1983 v.2.8-403a build 130510-1350 (needs updating but I was lazy, its a beta for a reason, just tell the installer to update)
- Sangoma Wanpipe is broken, call them and tell them to add Kernel 3.7+ support (we just recommend digium anymore)
- Sangoma VoiceTime is *STILL* broken, call them and tell them to add DAHDI v.2.6+ support

The --restore option of vicibox-install.pl will allow you to take a new server and replace an old one without re-creating all the vicidial and vicibox entries in the database. It will also attempt to install the same SVN version as what is in the vicibox table or prompt you for the version to use. It is not a replacement for adequate back-ups or disaster recovery procedures. You will still need to back-up voicemails, recordings, and anything custom in your configuration files or crontab. It merely allows you to quickly replace a machine in a cluster with a spare with minimal downtime and re-configuration. This will NOT, I repeat NOT, help you with a primary database failure and/or promoting the slave. That will still require a good sysadmin to accomplish and some sort of establish emergency plan. The --restore is designed to help expedite the replacement of the non-database servers in a ViciDial Cluster such as the Telephony and Web servers.

The new vicibox-upgrade program is designed to accomplish three things:
1) Upgrading the database schema on the primary database and updating the vicibox table with the new SVN revision
2) Synchronizing the telephony and web servers to the SVN revision on the database preventing a schema/code mismatch
3) Creating and maintaining a vicibox table on older legacy installs (requires user-input initially on each server)

You will STILL need to read through the UPGRADE document to see if there are any new changes, additions, or subtractions to the the crontab or other configuration files like /etc/asterisk/extensions.conf. The purpose of the upgrade is to synchronize the SVN code updates on all the various servers with the DB Schema revision. It became apparent that the vicibox table was lacking a mechanism to track future SVN upgrades which resulted in server additions being installed with an incorrect SVN codebase. This will also allow you to copy the upgrade program located at /usr/local/bin/vicibox-upgrade.pl to older servers in order to update them as well. It is not version specific to ViciBox v.5.0. There is no down-grade functionality for the database so make sure you have back-up's and procedures in place to go downgrade if the upgrade goes wrong. Other then that, the upgrade program is very straight forward.

Things we specifically need help testing and debugging (you can even write code patches), in order of importance, are as follows:
1) Some moderate load testing with the new MariaDB Engine in a cluster configuration (Dialer separate from DB/Web)
2) The --restore option
3) Testing the upgrade option
4) Asterisk v.1.8 feedback (Audio good/bad? Does it crash more/less? Is your load higher/lower? etc)

We might be interested in offering free support to a business who is willing to help us test MariaDB under some load. We would require you to have two machines, one as a DB/Web and second as Telephony, with 10 or more agents on it for testing purposes. We would then need to schedule a time so that we can watch your crew run on the dialer while we monitor the back-end and look for any bugs. Due to the issues of MySQL v.5.5 and ViciDial we are trying to evaluate if the same occurrences happen with MariaDB. You need to be an established call center that already knows how to use ViciDial for us to be interested. We are not offering this for someone who wants to start a call center or get started with ViciDial. We want to spend our time squashing bug not training people.

Anyways, enjoy. Please give me feedback when you can. Thanks.
Kumba

Re: ViciBox v.5.0 Beta Testers needed!

Postby DomeDan » Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:04 am

Awesome!
Will have a look and experiment with the --restore option when I got time.

I remember that someone requested a torrent download for the iso last release viewtopic.php?f=8&t=25920
tarundas wrote:Do you have any torrent link for this release?
williamconley wrote:Nope, but you are certainly welcome to create one.

So I have uploaded the iso's to linuxtracker.org

edit: removed the beta ones, I came to mind that its better to only have stable releases as torrents :roll:

And its certainly good to have a torrent option if the official download site goes down or is slow.
Tell me if you want me to to edit or delete the torrents.
Last edited by DomeDan on Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Vicidial Partner. Region: Sweden/Norway.
Does Vicidial installation, configuration, customization, add-ons, CRM implementation, support, upgrading, network-related, pentesting etc. Remote and onsite assistance.
Email: domedan (at) gmail.com
DomeDan

Postby Kumba » Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:43 am

A second version is forthcoming already. Things added/changed:

- Dynamic Asterisk Version, the default was hardcoded to 1.4.44-vici, it will now use the output of asterisk -V to do the install
> You will need to manually run install.pl, telling it that it's asterisk 1.8 and to re-copy the conf files after install, then change the asterisk version in the server entry
- Revert the change from BuildService to put the asterisk sounds and moh back in their default place of /var/lib/asterisk
- Asterisk v.1.8 is running as user/group 'asterisk' which causes issues with file permissions, changing back to root

Should have a second beta out by the end of the day
Kumba

Postby Kumba » Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:29 am

Successfully tested a 100-user cluster with 2 web servers and 10 telephony servers running off of a MariaDB v.5.5.29 install. Total installed DB size was 42GB and the system ran flawlessly. It exhibited none of the connection issues or random pause/dead call problems that we had previously with MySQL v.5.5. This is good news and we can now put this bug to rest. Suspicions confirmed and we don't have to downgrade software anymore.

I'm currently fighting with the build service over file system zealots. Evidently /var/lib/asterisk/sounds is not an appropriate place. /usr/share/asterisk/sounds is. Ohh well, that's why the linux gods invented cp and ln. Huzzah!

Hopefully I'll have that beta-2 release done shortly.
Kumba

Postby williamconley » Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:10 am

At least you're not bored.
Vicidial Installation and Repair, plus Hosting and Colocation
Newest Product: Vicidial Agent Only Beep - Beta
http://www.PoundTeam.com # 352-269-0000 # +44(203) 769-2294
williamconley

Postby Kumba » Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:02 pm

Changed the slave set-up code to do a mysqldump with --all-databases and --master-data. This means the slave will be a 100% mirror of whatever is on the master and not just the vicidial database. This also means that it will initially lock the entire master up during this dump. You will need to definitely do this over a weekend or with a big downtime window.

Good news is the slave setup should be simplified, more comprehensive, and functional now.
Kumba

Postby Trying » Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:38 am

Excellent! Thanks Kumba! :D
Vicibox Redux 3.1.14 64 bit
Asterisk: 1.4.39.2-vici | VERSION: 2.8-433a | BUILD: 140411-1434
Sangoma A102D/E1
Servers: 1 x Database; 1 x Web; 6 x Telephony; 2 x Archive
Outbound and blended ratio 3:1 with full voice recording
No additional software
Trying

Postby Kumba » Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:54 pm

some issues with the beta2:

A \G screws up vicibox-install.pl, so you will have to remove it. It's around line 299 I think.

On 32-bit, the updated SVN got thrown into /usr/src/astguiclient/trunk/trunk. It just needs to be pushed to /usr/src/astguiclient/trunk instead
Kumba

Postby Kumba » Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:57 pm

I have to do some follow up testing again but this should pretty much wrap up ViciBox v.5.0.
Kumba

Postby PierreDeux » Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:43 am

Do you have any estimates regarding rolling it out of beta?
I'm planning to update from 2.4 (Vicibox 3) and since I need full reinstall of all my asterisk servers I'm thinking of waiting for 5th release of vicibox.
PierreDeux

Postby Trying » Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:15 pm

Wow! Be a little patient! Have you ever seen ANY software going through Beta's and releasing as fast as Vicidial? Hehe, knowing Kumba it would probably be within DAYS, not weeks. :D We are all excited because this is going to be an awesome release.
Vicibox Redux 3.1.14 64 bit
Asterisk: 1.4.39.2-vici | VERSION: 2.8-433a | BUILD: 140411-1434
Sangoma A102D/E1
Servers: 1 x Database; 1 x Web; 6 x Telephony; 2 x Archive
Outbound and blended ratio 3:1 with full voice recording
No additional software
Trying

Postby Kumba » Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:39 am

Skipped the beta5 release, so here is beta6. This preloads the GPG keys for the repos in, adds asking for the hostname during the OS Install, and changes the partitioner back to the 4GB Swap and rest as root although it still has the funny partitioner behaviour where it will create multiple swaps if you just keep reinstalling.

Here you go:

http://download.vicidial.com/iso/vicibo ... -0.0.6.iso
http://download.vicidial.com/iso/vicibo ... -0.0.6.md5
http://download.vicidial.com/iso/vicibo ... reload.iso
http://download.vicidial.com/iso/vicibo ... reload.md5
http://download.vicidial.com/iso/vicibo ... -0.0.6.iso
http://download.vicidial.com/iso/vicibo ... -0.0.6.md5
http://download.vicidial.com/iso/vicibo ... reload.iso
http://download.vicidial.com/iso/vicibo ... reload.md5

Hopefully after we do our testing this will be the actual v.5.0.0 release.
Kumba

Return to ViciBox Server Install and Demo