Vicibox OS Install Error

Support forum for the ViciBox ISO Server Install and ISO LiveCD Demo

Moderators: enjay, williamconley, Staydog, mflorell, MJCoate, mcargile, Kumba

Vicibox OS Install Error

Postby DefLeppard » Sat Feb 06, 2016 1:23 pm

I am trying to install Vicibox 4.0.4 Preload x64 on my new server and the install is not even able to begin. I get the error in the below screenshot.

My hardware specs are as follows:
i7-4790K CPU
Samsung SSD 2x240G
32GB RAM

I assumed this has to do with the drives so I tried different drive modes (AHCI/IDE/RAID) and SATA modes (enhanced/compatible) in the BIOS settings but no luck with any of those. Any pointers on this would be highly appreciated.

Edit:
FYI I am installing remotely over IPMI. The server has 100Mbps connection and my local Internet upload speed is about 10Mbps. Not sure if this is a factor.
DefLeppard

Re: Vicibox OS Install Error

Postby williamconley » Sat Feb 06, 2016 1:37 pm

1) you posted a dump without the error. Not likely to result in a fix.

2) You are installing with a very old .iso, and there is no reason for it. Install with the latest .iso and if you need to install an earlier version of Vicidial, you can. Note that the installer is for "Vicibox" which installs the environment for Vicidial to run. At the end of the vicibox install, it will install Vicidial from the /usr/src/astguiclient/trunk folder. Having an earlier version of Vicidial in this folder will result in an earlier version of Vicidial being installed. If you intend to restore from a backup, you can just perform a normal install before you restore (if the backup was "full" and not just the DB).

3) IPMI is an acronym. Always post the actual text instead of the acronym for proprietary systems to avoid having everyone reading your post having to google it. Many remote control systems require "certified" .isos and will not work at all with custom .isos. You may want to verify that your system can handle a custom .iso.
Vicidial Installation and Repair, plus Hosting and Colocation
Newest Product: Vicidial Agent Only Beep - Beta
http://www.PoundTeam.com # 352-269-0000 # +44(203) 769-2294
williamconley

Postby Kumba » Sat Feb 06, 2016 2:28 pm

Part of your problem might be trying to mount the ISO through the Remote Session. It's a virtualized/faked USB hard drive and when the kernel boots it might be looking for a real one.

I'd recommend trying a newer ISO, or having the ISO burned to a USB thumb drive and plug it into the actual server to install.
Kumba

Postby DefLeppard » Sat Feb 06, 2016 4:19 pm

Thanks for your inputs. I know I am using an old ISO. The only reason is because I prefer using Asterisk 1.4. If there is a way to install Asterisk 1.4 using the new iso please let me know how and I would love to give that a try.
DefLeppard

Postby williamconley » Sat Feb 06, 2016 4:24 pm

I would have to ask ... WHY you prefer to use asterisk 1.4? (gotta be a reason ...?)
williamconley

Postby DefLeppard » Sat Feb 06, 2016 4:35 pm

I just find it more stable than the newer versions. Secondly I have a cluster running 1.4 which I am migrating to new hardware.
DefLeppard

Postby williamconley » Sat Feb 06, 2016 4:47 pm

1.4 is not more stable.

asterisk version of other servers is not related to a new server. each server can have a completely different version of asterisk. that's why each server (in admin->servers) has its own entry for asterisk version. this setting informs the "conf" generator(s) which version of the configuration file to create.

and let's not forget that newer hardware may simply not have drivers in the Old Installer .iso's. it may actually be impossible to install on hardware created after the .iso was created.
williamconley

Postby Kumba » Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:02 pm

1.4 generates less load, but isn't more stable in terms of crashing. We see less crashes with 1.8 and 11 so far.

As far as wanting to only use Asterisk v.1.4, then you can downgrade it by removing the asterisk packages, disabling the asterisk repo, and reinstalling with asterisk v.1.4 from the normal vicidial repository.

The real problem with 1.4 is security and adapatability. It hasn't been touched for updates in a while now and has issues with some modern SIP implementations from carriers.
Kumba

Postby DefLeppard » Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:51 pm

Leaving the security and other concerns related to Asterisk 1.4 aside, I think the install is failing because my IPMI simulates the ISO as a USB CDROM. I have experienced issues with USB CDROM's and this version of Vicibox in the past. Do you know of a workaround? Maybe a boot option or bios setting or something else?
DefLeppard

Return to ViciBox Server Install and Demo