RAM
16GB: Included
Primary Hard Drive
1 TB SSD 6GB/s: recurring $80.00
Secondary Hard Drive
1 TB SSD 6GB/s: recurring $80.00
RAID Configuration (Multiple HDDs only)
Hardware 6GB/s (adaptec): recurring $50.00

Upon install when you get to the hard drive partitioner it says it can't continue install because no file system has been flagged as root. So I go in and assign the drive as root, and mark it to be formatted. When the install is done, I perform df -h, I see this. Is this how it should be setup? I thought i was just creating root partition and a swap partition?

Image Image
|| DB Schema Version: 1609 || Asterisk 11.25.1-vici || BUILD: 190902-0839 ||VERSION: 2.14-718a||SVN: 3133||10xTelephony||1x Database||1x Slave||1x Web||1x Archive||ViciBox v.8.0.1
Nefariousparity

Re: ViciBox 7 Weird Partitioning Schema

Postby williamconley » Sat Apr 09, 2016 2:07 pm

Title: "Vicibox 7 ..."
Specs: "CentOS 6 ..."
Signature: "Vicibox 6 Preload"

1) It can only be one of these.
2) Whichever one you choose must have access to hard drives, and should automatically partition/format them as a part of the installation. If it does not, the OS being installed is where you must take up your challenge. CentOS, Ubuntu, OpenSuSE ... all have their own installation systems and those have specific requirements/wizards for dealing with hard drives.
3) If you are having ANY issues with HD, your first solution should be to take out all the drama, remove any RAID or extra HDs, and put in a single HD only.
4) I have no idea what "recurring $80.00" is, but it sounds like you're being charged by a colo for a HD at $80 per month just for a hard drive. That's kinda pricey. Where's this colo that they can charge the full price to purchase a 1T drive every month for renting it? LOL
Vicidial Installation and Repair, plus Hosting and Colocation
Newest Product: Vicidial Agent Only Beep - Beta
http://www.PoundTeam.com # 352-269-0000 # +44(203) 769-2294
williamconley

Postby Nefariousparity » Sat Apr 09, 2016 6:02 pm

Will I figured it out, during the os-install portion of the ViciBox 7.02 installer it asks to format drive using Resier FS, those doing the sub volume thing. I went back to EXT 4 which I am more familair and confortable. The host is ServerPronto and they charge that much for 1TB SSD.
|| DB Schema Version: 1609 || Asterisk 11.25.1-vici || BUILD: 190902-0839 ||VERSION: 2.14-718a||SVN: 3133||10xTelephony||1x Database||1x Slave||1x Web||1x Archive||ViciBox v.8.0.1
Nefariousparity

Postby williamconley » Sat Apr 09, 2016 6:29 pm

1T SSD? Why would you want an SSD that large?

My understanding:

SSD is great for Speed. Similar to SAS it's capable of some serious throughput. However, in the extreme long term under heavy usage, they have been known to die as this technology is still a bit new. SAS, not so much. They are solid. (Our experience: SSDs die first. SATA second. SAS almost never)

But in either case, 1T is useful for Data Storage. Vicidial is not a Data Storage Server. It should have a 74, 146, or (maybe) a 300G 15K SAS or SSD, depending on the size of your Database.

Storage should be on a completely separate server where Vicidial can push the Client Audio files via FTP all day long (and the backups, also via FTP, nightly). That FTP server should also be a simple web server with proper security in place to only allow YOU access. Then the Vicidial FTP script will push the audio files to the FTP server all day long and then change the links to allow access via that web server. And none of that data is on the Vicidial server's HD in case of a crash.

And you can mirror (software or hardware or even just second location via rsync) those client audio files outside the Vicidial realm as they are now "just files".

Why? If the Vicidial server's HD dies (vicidial has been known to kill HDs), you won't need to restore 4Terabytes of client audio files while rebuilding Vicidial! LOL. Just a quick standard Vicidial re-install, a restore of the DB/Web/Scripts (from the backup), and you're off and running ... still linked to those external web files on that other server.

"Oh, but it's a Mirror ... or a RAID5/10/15/25/50/60 ...": Challenge now is that not all failures are purely "dead hd". Sometimes it's a hack. Inside job even (Pissed off employee ...). Sometimes it's an awful OS failure that completely scrambles the DB and lots of other data on the HD. In all these scenarios, all those excellent copies are "copied" with that same scrambled data and "gone". So you STILL need a backup to cover that possibility. Since you still need a backup ... you may realize that Mirror/RAID is not a backup system, it's an "AntiDown" system to keep you running IF the HD fails. Nothing else. While HD death is one of the most common reasons for a down server, it's not the Only reason. LOL. And mirror just plain slows down the server (everything must be written twice).

Also, we've begun HD checks (primarily paying attention to "await") and found that we can remove HDs before they die on NONmirror/NONraid systems. We haven't had an actual drive failure (on a NonRAID SATA or SAS) in almost a year. And we're running a lot of servers. We've swapped out a great deal of them that had high "await" times and experienced a hiccup of some sort (any sort, if combined with "await" issues) that we could not explain. Pre-emptive drive replacement may not be related ...maybe we've just been lucky. But we're gonna keep doing it. (But those readings are not as valid on mirrors/raids because there's more than one drive involved! LOL)

For those who don't want a second server, we usually just put in a 1T SATA drive, and then mirror that drive "offsite" somewhere for redundancy if the files are crucial.
williamconley

Postby Kumba » Sun Apr 10, 2016 10:23 am

Nefariousparity wrote:Will I figured it out, during the os-install portion of the ViciBox 7.02 installer it asks to format drive using Resier FS, those doing the sub volume thing. I went back to EXT 4 which I am more familair and confortable. The host is ServerPronto and they charge that much for 1TB SSD.

Uh, I am not able to get ViciBox v.7.0.2 to come up using ReiserFS by default. So, I'm not sure how you or ServerPronto managed to do that.

When I install it, it comes up with /dev/sda1 as swap and /dev/sda2 as root with EXT4.
Kumba

Postby williamconley » Sun Apr 10, 2016 9:22 pm

May be related to the previous formatting of an existing partition. Those wizards do get creative under those circumstances, and usually not in a good way. 8-)
williamconley

Postby Kumba » Mon Apr 11, 2016 8:46 am

williamconley wrote:May be related to the previous formatting of an existing partition. Those wizards do get creative under those circumstances, and usually not in a good way. 8-)

Which is why I recommend wiping the partition table. It has been finicky for a while like that.
Kumba

Return to ViciBox Server Install and Demo