In Event of Primary Failure

Support forum for the ViciBox ISO Server Install and ISO LiveCD Demo

Moderators: enjay, williamconley, Staydog, mflorell, MJCoate, mcargile, Kumba

In Event of Primary Failure

Postby Nefariousparity » Tue May 02, 2017 3:39 pm

In Event of Primary Failure:

So we already have Slave Archive, and primary had a lot of table corruption that needed to be repaired. Is it as simple as..
1) editing astguiclient.conf to point to new table for Web, and Telephony.
2) running update ip script?

And all should be right with the world?

** More information, primary failed because it ran out of space during a DB export! Doh, it was not caught for hours. So in the mean time I had to run mysqlrepair script and that takes hourse, thus sending everyone home. :(
|| DB Schema Version: 1609 || Asterisk 11.25.1-vici || BUILD: 190902-0839 ||VERSION: 2.14-718a||SVN: 3133||10xTelephony||1x Database||1x Slave||1x Web||1x Archive||ViciBox v.8.0.1
Nefariousparity

Re: In Event of Primary Failure

Postby williamconley » Tue May 02, 2017 4:56 pm

Step two is wrong. You did not change the IP of the Tel or Web servers, so there's no need to run that script on any of those servers whose IP did not change.

Instead, however, you must kill any running screens that have the previous DB information in them. Safest method is often to just reboot, but you can kill those scripts and allow the system to restart them.

If the DB server has any Tel functionality, you'll need to run the IP update script on that as well (since the new DB will have a different IP than the previous DB, so it's IP address actually did change).

And don't forget to change the astguiclient.conf file on the new DB server if there are cron jobs running on it.
Vicidial Installation and Repair, plus Hosting and Colocation
Newest Product: Vicidial Agent Only Beep - Beta
http://www.PoundTeam.com # 352-269-0000 # +44(203) 769-2294
williamconley

Postby Nefariousparity » Tue May 02, 2017 5:32 pm

Ahh "The Great" William Conely, thank you very much.
|| DB Schema Version: 1609 || Asterisk 11.25.1-vici || BUILD: 190902-0839 ||VERSION: 2.14-718a||SVN: 3133||10xTelephony||1x Database||1x Slave||1x Web||1x Archive||ViciBox v.8.0.1
Nefariousparity

Postby Nefariousparity » Tue May 02, 2017 7:04 pm

You know thinking about it.

I would want to stop the slave, and then update astguiclient file of all corresponding servers to the slave ip right?
Nefariousparity

Postby williamconley » Tue May 02, 2017 8:01 pm

You'll have to test that theory out for how you intend to get all the data back to the master eventually.

The instructions for doing this are NOT something you want to rely on. You want to test this. Possibly in a sandbox scenario to be sure.

Note that a backup/restore set is marvelous. But if you have *never* done a restore from your backup set as a test, many old-school system administrators would say the backup set is not valid. This stems from "if it hasn't been tested, you have to assume it's not valid because it very well may not be!" after experiencing old tape backup failures. Still applies.

The same applies to recover from a prime failure followed by use of the slave and eventual recovery back to the primary. If you haven't tested it all the way through, it may fail and you may lose all your data. So ... full backup and restore to a different database (to be certain your DB backup/restore works), then test your primary fail and everything else all the way through to getting all the new data back to the primary. Make changes to the data on the slave and be sure those changes eventually end up back in the primary.

At least until Kumba automates all of this for you. 8-) (And remember to thank Kumba and Matt for all this crap working in the first place!)

Nefariousparity wrote:Ahh "The Great" William Conely, thank you very much.

Conehead, what? Ouch. And I prefer "The Nefarious" rather than "The Great", but with your username I can see why you'd avoid that. Or maybe there should be a captain in there somewhere.
Vicidial Installation and Repair, plus Hosting and Colocation
Newest Product: Vicidial Agent Only Beep - Beta
http://www.PoundTeam.com # 352-269-0000 # +44(203) 769-2294
williamconley

Postby Nefariousparity » Tue May 02, 2017 11:06 pm

LOL, NefariousParity was supposed to be "Evil Error Checking" Something I coined up as a child as more people were coming onto the internet and using the name "Zenmaster". The great is because I have been here for years and I have seen you help many people such as myself.

And oh yeah, respect to all who have done development of this marvelous system.
Nefariousparity

Return to ViciBox Server Install and Demo