Vicibox and php7.x

Support forum for the ViciBox ISO Server Install and ISO LiveCD Demo

Moderators: enjay, williamconley, Staydog, mflorell, MJCoate, mcargile, Kumba

Vicibox and php7.x

Postby Arffeh » Wed Jul 03, 2019 3:19 am

Hello all,

It's time for a reinstall, I intend on using 8.1.2, and was just curious about the current state of vicibox, whether latest runs correctly on php7.x .

Has anyone here run into troubles using vicibox with php7?

Another question I would pose:
is the current codebase ever tested using php7, or is there a chance of a future SVN update causing me trouble due to all vicibox testing happening on php5.x ?

I'd love to hear from the community in general both the successes and failures of using php7 in their installations, if anyone has given it a go. :D
Arffeh

Re: Vicibox and php7.x

Postby williamconley » Wed Jul 03, 2019 3:55 am

I think there was a thread a couple weeks ago that stated vici seems stable with php7. but don't quote me. Go look for it. 8-)

WHY do you think you need php7?
Vicidial Installation and Repair, plus Hosting and Colocation
Newest Product: Vicidial Agent Only Beep - Beta
http://www.PoundTeam.com # 352-269-0000 # +44(203) 769-2294
williamconley

Postby Arffeh » Wed Jul 03, 2019 5:00 am

I had a feeling you'd be first to comment :P

PHP7 has some pretty drastic performance improvements. Quite a bit faster, less memory consumption, it's able to handle far more requests per second than PHP5.

I have some custom code that I wouldn't mind also hosting on the webservers, which performs better on PHP7. Having this on a separate box is honestly frustrating. Having said that, a lot of developers are also moving on from PHP5 in general.

A bit of future-proofing doesn't hurt. :D

I wouldn't mind knowing if the current code is actively tested with PHP7, it would be an interesting thing to know.
Arffeh

Postby mflorell » Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:50 am

I believe the soon-to-be-released VICIbox 9 will be using a PHP7 version.

As for testing, we just tested VICIdial again on PHP7 a couple months ago, and a few months before that we did discover a minor issue that was fixed in svn/trunk related to PHP7 compatibility. We also have a few clients that we know of using PHP7 in production currently.
mflorell
Site Admin

Postby Arffeh » Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:43 pm

Cheers for the info. Good to know. I suppose if it falls to bits I could remove php7 and reinstall 5.6 without too many foreseeable headaches.

Do you happen to know which point release of PHP7 was last tested against?
Or is it "whichever one is in the repo" :P

I was eyeing off the poll thread kumba made regarding distribution of the newest image, I'll be interested to see what kumba ends up with. :)

EDIT: has VICIPhone and soundboarding been tested with PHP7?
I checked viciphone.com and looked on github for requirements, but came up short.
Arffeh

Return to ViciBox Server Install and Demo