Can I use USB modem for predictive calls?

All installation and configuration problems and questions

Moderators: gerski, enjay, williamconley, Op3r, Staydog, gardo, mflorell, MJCoate, mcargile, Kumba, Michael_N

Can I use USB modem for predictive calls?

Postby earlfox » Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:43 pm

I've chosen I will use ViciDial no matter whether its gonna be predictive dialing or just usual linear dialing, because it saves time anyway.
We use Vicidial for outbound calls only, and USB modems is our choice because there's no cheap enough SIP trunking option for our area (for calling to Russian mobile carriers)

I've tried to search on Google, about how much simultaneous calls USB modem potentailly can handle, but haven't found the answer. So I'm really hope to find it out this: I'm using Huawei modems (my own modem model is E150).

I already have working set of vicidial + asterisk + huawei e150, but NOT really working because when I call by using softphone directly through asterisk (by using extension which I've even created through vicidial) everything is fine, but when I start vicidial and try to call LEADS, then sound quality is miserable. I found on forums that this maybe due to wrong processor CPU installed into my computer (too slow), because I'm using Intel Atom based Laptop as an OpenSUSE ViciBox server.

So maybe anyone could give me some clue about this two questions I've mentioned above:
1. Do you think predictive calls is possible on USB modems like Huawei or similar cheap mobile carrier solutions (my main mission is making cheap local calls using SIM-cards)
2. Maybe my current setup is not working, because I could do something wrong within an asterisk? I'm using chan_datacard (+usb_modeswitch), with the only one line modification for asterisk config: exten => _X.,1,Dial(Datacard/datacard0/${EXTEN}) - which makes me able to call outbound calls using the usual sim-card on my USB modem
earlfox

Re: Can I use USB modem for predictive calls?

Postby williamconley » Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:01 pm

1) Welcome to the Party! 8-)

2) As you are obviously new here, I have some suggestions to help us all help you:

When you post, please post your entire configuration including (but not limited to) your installation method and vicidial version with build.

This IS a requirement for posting along with reading the stickies (at the top of each forum) and the manager's manual (available on EFLO.net, both free and paid versions)

You should also post: Asterisk version, telephony hardware (model number is helpful here), cluster information if you have one, and whether any other software is installed in the box. If your installation method is "from scratch" you must post your operating system and should also post the .iso version from which you installed your original operating system. If your installation is "Hosted" list the site name of the host.

If this is a "Cloud" or "Virtual" server, please note the technology involved along with the version of that techology (ie: VMware Server Version 2.0.2). If it is not, merely stating the Motherboard model # and CPU would be helpful.

Similar to This:

Vicibox X.X from .iso | Vicidial X.X.X-XXX Build XXXXXX-XXXX | Asterisk X.X.X | Single Server | No Digium/Sangoma Hardware | No Extra Software After Installation | Intel DG35EC | Core2Quad Q6600

3) This is a SUPPORT question, moving to the Support Board! :)

4) If you are dialing ONE call with vicidial vs dialing ONE call manually, your asterisk server is maintaining ONE call. There should be no difference in call quality. This is not related to CPU or anything else. Asterisk neither knows nor cares that the single call is generated by Vicidial or any other method.

5) That being said, were you dialing multiple calls with Vicidial? Were you using a different "Dial" string in Vicidial vs when you were dialing manually?

6) Making the calls via USB modem vs Broadband vs any other method is relevant only insofar as it implies Data speed and reliability. So: What is the speed of the connection? You need a specific amount of bandwidth per call and if it is not available, it will sound crappy or die.

Happy Hunting! 8-)
Vicidial Installation and Repair, plus Hosting and Colocation
Newest Product: Vicidial Agent Only Beep - Beta
http://www.PoundTeam.com # 352-269-0000 # +44(203) 769-2294
williamconley

Postby earlfox » Tue Dec 24, 2013 4:53 pm

I will post info about my server a little later, since I have no time at the current moment.

But I can say that:
1) I'm using ViciBox iso with standard settings
2) I've already setup 2 dongles with chan_dongle module for asterisk and both modems works perfectly, but not in simultaneous mode
3) Here's my config from extensions.conf in [default] section:
Code: Select all
;exten => _X.,1,DongleStatus(GSM-001,Dongle0_Status)
same => n,DongleStatus(GSM-002,Dongle1_Status)
same => n,GotoIf($[${Dongle0_Status} = 2]?dongle0dial:dongle1check)
same => n(dongle0dial),Dial(Dongle/GSM-001/${EXTEN:2},60,tT)
same => n,Hangup
same => n(dongle1check),GotoIf($[${Dongle1_Status} = 2]?dongle1dial:utel)
same => n(dongle1dial),Dial(Dongle/GSM-002/${EXTEN:2},60,tT)
same => n,Hangup

with this config I can use 2 lines of my 3G modems simultaenously, but when 2 of my agents try to call to leads, they can't work simultaneously from this 2 modems with a dialplan config already mentioned.
4) Will you help me if in future I won't specify all required stuff you mentioned? (no problem specifying though, but I really need quick help)
earlfox

Postby williamconley » Tue Dec 24, 2013 5:59 pm

Love to help, but the detail of the problem is missing.

"but not in simultaneous mode" is not a lot to go on.

Perhaps if you posted the asterisk CLI output from the "fail" in question and stated the problem clearly it would help.

8-)

And if you are close enough to the server to grab those exten details you just posted, don't try to tell me you don't have time for the rest of the details. LOL (At the very least you must post the Vicidial Version with Build on ALL posts and if it takes you more time to grab that than to tell me you "don't have time to grab that", you would probably not be using a web browser professionally. LOL. Just sayin' ... :) (It's in the bottom left corner of almost every vicidial admin screen ...).

Also, if these agents cannot use the modems simultaneously in Asterisk, without using Vicidial, they'll have the same problem with Vicidial. Vicidial is not the PBX engine, that's asterisk. Vicidial cannot 'overrule' a trunk usage problem in asterisk.
Vicidial Installation and Repair, plus Hosting and Colocation
Newest Product: Vicidial Agent Only Beep - Beta
http://www.PoundTeam.com # 352-269-0000 # +44(203) 769-2294
williamconley

Postby earlfox » Thu Dec 26, 2013 10:39 am

Also, if these agents cannot use the modems simultaneously in Asterisk, without using Vicidial, they'll have the same problem with Vicidial. Vicidial is not the PBX engine, that's asterisk. Vicidial cannot 'overrule' a trunk usage problem in asterisk.

No, they worked in Asterisk, we had a problem with them working in the Vicidial - simultaneous calls were available for asterisk but not vicidial.

I've solved this problem myself, what I did:
- Just created new entry in "Carriers" section of vicidial and pasted mentioned above lines into dialplan section. That was easy. Seems like I haven't learned yet how to be understandable on forums, otherwise perhaps I would get this simple step from you.
earlfox

Return to Support