Adding New Telefony Server to Cluster

Any and all non-support discussions

Moderators: gerski, enjay, williamconley, Op3r, Staydog, gardo, mflorell, MJCoate, mcargile, Kumba, Michael_N

Adding New Telefony Server to Cluster

Postby lucabocha » Sat Nov 07, 2020 11:41 am

Hello

Im new to vicidial but I just joined a company that has a cluster with 3 telephony servers, 1 Database Server and 1 Archive Server. One of these telephony server failed and we would like to add a new telephony server to replace this one, but I have some questions in regards to this

1- Does adding a new telephony server to the cluster causes any impact to the rest of the cluster or the database?
2- How can we move the configuration of the old Server to the Server being added? Or we dont need to do this due to the information being on the database?

Thanks in advance for the help and sorry if Im asking a very basic question, but Im really not knowledgeable with vicidial

Best Regards!
lucabocha

Re: Adding New Telefony Server to Cluster

Postby covarrubiasgg » Sat Nov 07, 2020 3:04 pm

What installation method was used for the cluster?

VICIBOX has a restore mode and it takes care of everything, but it really depends on your installation method
covarrubiasgg

Postby lucabocha » Sat Nov 07, 2020 7:20 pm

The installation method was vicibox, in fact the version the cluster is running is a pretty old one: ViciBox Redux v.4.0.3 released
lucabocha

Postby covarrubiasgg » Wed Nov 11, 2020 2:04 am

Is upgrade an option ?

That is really old :shock:

On recent versions of Vicibox, what you want to achive is as simple as format the server, configure the same IP address and run

Code: Select all
vicibox-install --restore

But I cant remember what tools Vicibox 4 has built-in, anyway. That is OOOOOLD ... i mean Vicibox 8 no longer has updates, Vicibox 4 must be a security risk.

Take a look here

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=25832

It looks like, Vicibox 4 introduced the restore, maybe you can make it work, but it I were on your shoes I would be trying to upgrade the whole cluster ASAP
covarrubiasgg

Postby lucabocha » Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:44 am

Hello

Thanks, yeah, what we are thinking right now is to move the database or set up a new cluster running the v9 version for vicibox.

I do have another questions, that is outside of the topic of this post, but it should be a simple one. Would it be OK to virtualize (on xenserver) the database for the new cluster running the v9 version? Im just wondering if this is possible without affecting the performance of the cluster

Thanks!
lucabocha

Postby carpenox » Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:03 pm

Hmm, good question. That should theoretically be possible I would think since the reason the virtualization doesnt work well for vicibox in general is because of the hi res perl scripts that run but if the DB server is just that, DB only, i would think it would work fine. Id be interested to know your results if you do end up going that route. Overall though, is the price difference worth the performance loss due to virtualization?

-Nox
Alma Linux 9.3 | Version: 2.14-911a | SVN Version: 3815 | DB Schema Version: 1710 | Asterisk 18.18.1
www.dialer.one -:- 1-833-DIALER-1 -:- https://linktr.ee/CyburDial -:- WhatsApp: +19549477572 -:- Skype: live:carpenox_3
carpenox

Postby williamconley » Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:11 pm

lucabocha wrote:The installation method was vicibox, in fact the version the cluster is running is a pretty old one: ViciBox Redux v.4.0.3 released

You can actually install it with the same version of code as a standalone server, then change the astguiclient.conf file to "join" the cluster. If you set it up with the same internal IP as the dead server ... it'll just take over where the old one left off.

You will need to set the crontab and astguiclient.conf to the same as the dead server (or at least "appropriate for its expected role" if you don't have access to the prior settings).

Note that a Vicibox 4.0.3 install will still work: Just avoid any zypper up attempts, as those will no longer work and be sure it's firewall is set up as whitelist to avoid any "I'm running an old OS" intrusion attempts.

You can also just install it with that same installer as a fresh server (with a different local IP address) and delete the old one. You'll need to move phones and carriers to the new server from the old one (beware running the ip update script as it would duplicate the old server's internal functions such as conferences by moving them from the defunct server to the new one that already has these items, which would break functionality).

You can also Upgrade your existing system in place (just upgrade Vicidial, not the OS) with instructions in the UPGRADE document of the repository. Then install the new server with the newest Vicibox installer. The old version of Vicidial may have some missing hooks and the versioning may be in need of adjustment at the end, but usually it's a good matchup. And versioning is easy to fix, really.

The servers in your cluster must all be on the same Vicidial Code version, but there is NO requirement for the Vicibox Installer to match. The OS and Asterisk versions are accounted for in the "Admin->Servers" modify page and are independent from server to server. Mix and match at will.

But remember one thing: You can NOT use a newer Vicibox Installer that installs a Newer Version of Asterisk than your Vicidial code will support. If you are working with a Vicidial Version that expects asterisk 1.8, it will work with any version of asterisk before 1.8, but NOT any version of asterisk AFTER 1.8. So a later installer, which may install asterisk 11 or 13 will not work with code expecting 1.8 at most.

I'd recommend upgrade on one day, and install on the next.

NO: It does not cause issues with a running cluster to install a new server. Just don't use the same local IP for the new server as any previous server has ever had.
Vicidial Installation and Repair, plus Hosting and Colocation
Newest Product: Vicidial Agent Only Beep - Beta
http://www.PoundTeam.com # 352-269-0000 # +44(203) 769-2294
williamconley

Return to General Discussion