vici LOcal IP issue with VOIP...

All installation and configuration problems and questions

Moderators: gerski, enjay, williamconley, Op3r, Staydog, gardo, mflorell, MJCoate, mcargile, Kumba, Michael_N

vici LOcal IP issue with VOIP...

Postby ruben23 » Wed Feb 11, 2009 4:54 pm

hi, i was planning to change my vicidial server current network setup coz its running on a local IP and behind a NAT router...the problem is if ill have two ethernets....which is eth0=WAN IP , eth1=Local IP...probably there will no be changes on how do i access my vicidial server from a SIP client through local IP...

Is there any changes i need to specify my WAN IP on the vicidial configuration settings before it will work.
or
Do the vicidial need to know the WAN IP.....? :(
ruben23

Postby ruben23 » Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:10 am

anyone have ideas on this...? :?
ruben23

Postby mcargile » Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:16 pm

You would want to have the local ip in the configuration files. The only place you will want to have the external IP listed would be the in sip.conf of Asterisk.

Even for systems that no one will be accessing the system from the local network (for instance co-located servers) we highly suggest setting up an internal network and having the systems communicate through the internal network. This prevents your database traffic from being visible from the outside.
Michael Cargile | Director of Engineering | ViciDialGroup | http://www.vicidial.com

The official source for VICIDIAL services and support. 1-888-894-VICI (8424)
mcargile
Site Admin

Postby ruben23 » Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:35 pm

So what your suggesting is..keep my vici-asterisk server in local IP...? i have to server 1 for vici Database and 1 for asterisk-vici....
The only thing im concern here..is having issue with VOIP provider, and also got rtp error...

Mostly what setup are good fo a vicidial platform...? commonly used...
ruben23

Postby ruben23 » Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:00 pm

mcargile...any comment or suggestion..
ruben23

Postby williamconley » Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:04 pm

as far as vicidial is concerned, you should only be using the local ip.

you'll need sip to be listening on the external along with any other networking protocols.

your database server should not even be on the external network at all unless you need to use it for something other than vicidial that is outside the local network.
Vicidial Installation and Repair, plus Hosting and Colocation
Newest Product: Vicidial Agent Only Beep - Beta
http://www.PoundTeam.com # 352-269-0000 # +44(203) 769-2294
williamconley

call

Postby arvindsandilya24 » Sat Feb 14, 2009 7:41 am

Hi,

You should assign local ip on eth0 and public ip on eth1.
arvindsandilya24

Postby ruben23 » Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:52 am

williamconley...i got two server....my database server will still be on my LAN network the vicidial server will be facing the wan by using the public IP with local access form my SIP client..

I just want to pull out my vici server form nated network.....

:) [/img]
ruben23

Postby Baylink » Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:24 am

Ruben: let me try to restate your problem (ah, tech support; what a nice change :-), so we're sure we're all talking about the same thing.

You have a 2 machine cluster, web and DB on one box, and dialler on the other, and your connection to the outisde world is (solely?) SIP to a commercial provider, correct?

And at the moment, both machines are in a private, RFC 1918 LAN behind a NAT router?

And you are having trouble with this, presumably, and want to connect the dialler box directly to your public Internet uplink somehow so that you can fix your problems in that way?

Is that your actual problem?

If so, I concur with Mike: you're much better off, in the long run, figuring out and fixing the problem that you're having getting your SIP through your NAT, than exposing your Linux dialler box directly to the Internet.

A couple of detail questions:

1) What *is* your NAT box?

2) Exactly what problems (if any) are you having trying to get SIP traffic to your provider to successfully traverse it?

3) What kind of Internet connection do you have, and does it provide you with a static IP address?
Baylink

Return to Support