When reinstalling is easier than fixing it

Any and all non-support discussions

Moderators: gerski, enjay, williamconley, Op3r, Staydog, gardo, mflorell, MJCoate, mcargile, Kumba, Michael_N

When reinstalling is easier than fixing it

Postby Op3r » Thu Sep 27, 2007 10:36 pm

This bums me out. Some clients came running to me and asking me to fix their VICIDIAL installations. I would look at it and then to my surprise a reinstall is easier than fixing it.

One example. A client asked me if I can make their VICIDIAL auto dial. The consultant told them that the server can handle 25 seats on a Dual Core system with 1 gb of memory. So I ssh to that server, and to my surprise extensions.conf looks like it came from mars. Crontabs are not running correctly, and they are running 1.0.11 version and the server was installed 2 months ago. Wtf right? and the consultant also told them to run their campaigns on manual dial because thats the optimal usage of the Dialer. So what did I do? I told them to reformat the server....

You wouldn't believe when you see an installation done by "Consultants" sucked more than your first try at installing VICIDIAL. I was a noob too before but I didint have the courage to become a consultant after I made my first install worked.

This ought to stop. People lose money because of this so and so installations. VICIDIAL also takes a hit because some of the users starts looking for other alternatives due to headaches using a half done VICIDIAL install.

Misrepresenting VICIDIAL is one of the things I hate too. So does on not educating the clients on what VICIDIAL really is.

Ok im ranting off. :(

any horror stories like this too?
Get paid for US outbound Toll Free calls. PM me.
Op3r

Postby gardo » Fri Sep 28, 2007 3:40 am

Dude, this really sucks! This destroys the image of vicidial. People would think that vicidial is substandard software when it's not. It's one of the best opensource dialer available.

This does not only happen to vicidial but also to asterisk and other opensource software. I have encountered clients who were very disappointed w/ asterisk saying that the people/consultants who did the setup wasn't able to deliver and had lots of downtime. This gives the impression that opensource software is not reliable.
http://goautodial.com
Empowering the next generation contact centers
gardo

Postby ramindia » Fri Sep 28, 2007 3:53 am

Hi

i really go with what Mr Gardo said

even i seen many installation on p4 desktop boards
with 512mb, with Full recordings, they said to people that
it works for 25 and more Agents.

but when they start adding and go live..they will not able to meet
not even 10 agents properly and the consultant will go offline by that time

And i have come across....lot of the them ask to install for penuts.
and end of the day they dont even know what is call center and process.

and for penuts they want everything on finger tips.

people dont do proper home work before they get in to call center bussiness.

they always thinks that...other door making money lets we also make. they dont see their capabilities.

This is just my observation.

But when i compare to other products like....Parsec, Avaya, and other technology, this is very low CAPEX for the starters who understand callcenter technology and process.

ram
Kindly post your feedback, if this solution works.
so its very usefull for others who join later as a NEWBIE.
ramindia

Postby mflorell » Fri Sep 28, 2007 8:25 am

This is exactly why we are working on a certified VICIDIAL installer program that will involve training and testing.

It is not like this will happen overnight, but it will be something that we can have a website for "find a certified VICIDIAL installer near you!" and it will give customers something to differentiate the know-nothing "consultants" from people who actually know what they are doing.
mflorell
Site Admin

Postby ramindia » Fri Sep 28, 2007 8:53 am

Hi

i totally agree

but how can we spread this across the globe
not limited to the some places.

ram
Kindly post your feedback, if this solution works.
so its very usefull for others who join later as a NEWBIE.
ramindia

Postby Op3r » Fri Sep 28, 2007 9:02 am

By waiting ram...

We are cooking something that will weed out who's in and who's out..

Expect it this november. or possibly earlier.
Get paid for US outbound Toll Free calls. PM me.
Op3r

Postby devafree » Mon Oct 08, 2007 4:53 pm

How close are we to the certification process being implemented ?

:)

Regards
devafree

Postby gerski » Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:45 pm

yes, I also have encountered lots of so called "consultant" :D
http://www.perfectnetworkcorp.com
Perfect Network Corporation
gerski

Postby enjay » Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:40 am

Unfortunately you will encounter this in every open source scenario. Joe Blow who was a car wash manager 3 months ago can now be a software integration firm purely due ot the fact that what he is implementing is "free" per say.

I think the certified program is definately a step in the right direction for having "qualified" goto's though I do believe you (us) will always run into this issue where someone got scammed.

-Art
enjay

Return to General Discussion