custom kernels, does it make much difference?

Any and all non-support discussions

Moderators: gerski, enjay, williamconley, Op3r, Staydog, gardo, mflorell, MJCoate, mcargile, Kumba, Michael_N

custom kernels, does it make much difference?

Postby js19 » Thu Jul 31, 2008 5:49 pm

just curious if anyone has actually benchmarked it.

Also, is 2.6.17 still the recommended kernel version? Can I got with a more recent one w/o too much worry? I'm following the scratch install for the most part but removing a lot of crap. I'm setting up on centos 5.2 fwiw.

Also, the scratch install document says this:

Networking --->
Amateur Radio support --->
<*> Amateur Radio AX.25 Level 2 protocol
[*] AX.25 DAMA Slave support
<*> Amateur Radio NET/ROM protocol
<*> Amateur Radio X.25 PLP (Rose)
(all needed for new Digium Octasic drivers)

Using an x100p card (just for timing), can I remove this stuff from the kernel?

edit: i see in the scratch install some things that are very important to change from the default kernels passed out with various distros so it's probably advisable to compile one. Still wondering about the lastest versions that are running well with vicidial and that radio support stuff. thx.
Last edited by js19 on Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
js19

Postby mflorell » Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:26 pm

The last kernel that I did a lot of testing on was 2.6.17, but I have used newer kernels since then. As for the X25 stuff, not sure if it is still needed in all versions of zaptel so you'll have to try it out and let us know.

If you are using CentOS I would recommend downloading a new kernel from kernel.org and compiling it instead of the over-patched kernel that CentOS provides.
mflorell
Site Admin

Postby js19 » Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:50 pm

OK, I'm compiling a kernel anyway, I was just wondering. I'll update once i've done some testing on 2.6.25.13.
js19

Return to General Discussion