what motherboard are you using with the x100p?

Any and all non-support discussions

Moderators: gerski, enjay, williamconley, Op3r, Staydog, gardo, mflorell, MJCoate, mcargile, Kumba, Michael_N

what motherboard are you using with the x100p?

Postby js19 » Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:53 am

This is cross-posted on Asterisk Guru cause i need to either figure this out quickly or buy a new mobo.

I got the x100p from x100p.com and i followed their troubleshooting doc.

I'm having a bitch of a time getting the x100p to work. I've disabled/enabled usb/floppy/apci/apic/pnp in bios to free-up IRQs. I've tried every possible combination of pci slots, and no matter what I do, it always ends up sharing anr IRQ with something else, even though there are free IRQs in the 1-16 range.

I'm about to try with a different motherboard(just realized i can't do that since it's an amd board), but does anyone have a motherboard suggestion that is confirmed to work? I have a Q9450 that i'm sticking in it. Or is there another possible solution to this problem?

Thx.

ps. oh, and i'm using an asus p5k-e fwiw.
js19

Postby mflorell » Tue Aug 05, 2008 4:06 pm

I have noticed a lot of the newer motherboards having problems with the X100P cards. I would recommend trying an older montherboard or possibly getting a Sangoma a200 to use in place of the X100P
mflorell
Site Admin

Postby js19 » Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:17 pm

Hey mark. I got it working on a p5q which is even newer still. I guess we shall see what happens when it's under load. On the p5k i couldn't get the driver to load properly but i'm not making calls on the p5q. However, it is sharing an interrupt. The upside is that while this prevented it from working on the p5k, at least it works on the p5q. If i get weird behaviour under load then I suppose i'll know where to start looking.

In theory, should the shared irq be a problem if the card is actually working now?
js19

Postby mflorell » Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:34 pm

If the card works, I wouldn't worry about the interrupt. That's usualy only a real problem with T1 cards.

Thanks for posting, let us know how it works out in production.
mflorell
Site Admin

Postby js19 » Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:39 pm

mflorell wrote:If the card works, I wouldn't worry about the interrupt. That's usualy only a real problem with T1 cards.

Thanks for posting, let us know how it works out in production.

I will. I'm using centos 5.2 (which i saw was recommended quite often for asterisk but after i read the vicidial doc, not for vici) and lets just say it's been an ordeal getting this far.I'm learning a lot though.

Are you recommending slackware in general? I take it it's an issue with the kernel source and the patches redhat do or something? It took me a while to get a custom kernel that would even boot. ;p
js19

Postby mflorell » Tue Aug 12, 2008 1:33 am

We recommend Slackware or OpenSuSE. If you need to use CentOS or any other redhat-family OS we recommend downloading a kernel.org kernel to replace the non-standard RedHat kernels on those distros.
mflorell
Site Admin

What Motherboard....

Postby ger1966 » Fri Sep 26, 2008 12:18 pm

have very good experiences with the following boards in conjunction with X100P

ASUS P5N-E SLI nForce 650i SLI

MSI P6N SLI - Motherboard

Both have the same chipset nForce 650i

2.Computer when I could not get Asus with the chipset. I then bought Asus with Intel chipset and it ran not. I then bought with MSI nForce 650i and it ran away

Sorry for my English,Thomas
ger1966

Postby js19 » Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:48 am

Just wondering if anyone is using server-grade hardware with asterisk? Dells or HPs or something... Not this year, but probably next year I'd like to move it over to something like that, but knowing the problems with getting an X100p to work, i'm not sure what to buy. Over xmas I'd like to try and get things to work on a Poweredge 1950 or 2950. The trouble is that they don't have regular pci slots, so what could I buy to use as a timing card?

In the meantime I just bought another asus p5q-e so that I could test out new versions without impact the running server.
js19

Postby Op3r » Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:49 pm

stay away from dell servers.
Get paid for US outbound Toll Free calls. PM me.
Op3r

Postby js19 » Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:40 pm

I've heard that from time to time, but I have several of them running virtual machines, and two running a SAN. They have been rock solid from the day they went in. Most have uptimes of several months, with the only reboots being for virtual iron upgrades. Dell's response time was lightning fast for me the only time i had to use them. A fan on a powersupply was making funny noises and I got an entirely new psu the very next morning after I called their tech support (I had only asked for a replacement fan).

Now if you're talking specifically with regards to timing card issues, ok, but sweeping generalizations are useless in my experience. Huge datacenters seem to do fine choosing Dell, and I highly doubt they would do if all Dell servers were somehow crap.
js19

Return to General Discussion