GUI that does not affect vicidial context

Any and all non-support discussions

Moderators: gerski, enjay, williamconley, Op3r, Staydog, gardo, mflorell, MJCoate, mcargile, Kumba, Michael_N

GUI that does not affect vicidial context

Postby fintech » Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:56 pm

Is there a gui that is vicidial friendly. I would like to be able to create trunks, extensions and routes.
fintech

Postby mflorell » Thu Aug 21, 2008 4:14 pm

not that I have found. Usually if you need that you would put it on a separate machine from VICIDIAL and connect the two machines over IAX.

There are several people who have gotten FreePBX and VICIDIAL to work, but there is a severe performance hit because of FreePBX and it is a lot of work to get the setup working in the first place.
mflorell
Site Admin

Postby js19 » Fri Aug 22, 2008 5:39 pm

I initially wanted to use a gui because i first got started by playing with asteriskNOW. Now that I'm comfortable (about 2 weeks of dedicated effort), I find it much better to make your alterations manually. It's not like asterisk dialplans are difficult to understand. Once you learn to use templates and macros, adding extensions or making changes is very fast using vim and just requires an extensions/sip reload from the CLI. Plus you won't have some script messing out your layout if you make changes that aren't handled by the gui. When I'm playing around with dialplans i'll typically open 3-4 ssh windows, one for extensions, one for sip, one for asterisk, and one for my shell. I find it very efficient.
Last edited by js19 on Fri Aug 22, 2008 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
js19

Postby mflorell » Fri Aug 22, 2008 7:33 pm

One more issue with GUIs like FreePBX is that they can make it extremely difficult to debug problems because of the 70+ steps that every call goes through to be placed, as opposed to only a few steps for a hand-coded dialplan.
mflorell
Site Admin

Return to General Discussion