Server

Any and all non-support discussions

Moderators: gerski, enjay, williamconley, Op3r, Staydog, gardo, mflorell, MJCoate, mcargile, Kumba, Michael_N

Server

Postby rambo » Mon Jul 10, 2006 10:38 am

Hello,

What is the best server you could use to run 24 agents along with a web server connected to it?

Thanks
rambo

Postby mflorell » Mon Jul 10, 2006 11:33 am

I would recommend as big of a server as you can get. It is best to keep the Database on a separate server as well(sometimes with the Web server) to give Asterisk/VICIDIAL no competition for CPU cycles on that server.

What kind of trunks will you be using?

If VOIP, what codec?

How many lines per agent?

Will you be recording every call?
mflorell
Site Admin

Postby rambo » Tue Jul 11, 2006 8:15 am

Hello Matt,

We are running a channel, along with a Digium E1 card.

We are using both IAX and SIP.

G729

We want to be able to run about 3 lines per agent.

One of your programs is going to need to record every call.

The Server I have been looking at buying is a 3 GHz Xeon just a single, 200 GB sata HHD, with 2 GB of Ram.

The next machine is just going to be a P4 with 200 GB sata HHD, 1 GB or Ram. this is going to be for the web server and the data base.

The third machine is just going to be a P4 with 73 GB SCSI HHD, 1 GB or Ram. this is going to be just for the recordings.

Let me know your thoughts,

Thanks for your help.
GO Vicidial!
rambo

Postby mflorell » Tue Jul 11, 2006 11:37 am

for 24 agents, using G729 codec, 3.0 dial level and recording every call you will need another Asterisk/VICIDIAL server.

If you try to do that on a single server you will run into audio quality issues and skips in the recordings. G729 is very CPU intensive and recording is very disk intensive. On a campaign where we were recording every call we burned through two SATA drives in one year so I would recommend SCSI on the asterisk/VICIDIAL server if possible.

If this was Ulaw you could probably do it, but not with G729. You also might consider just getting a gateway box to do transcoding and take that piece off of your asterisk/VICIDIAL server
mflorell
Site Admin

Postby rambo » Wed Jul 12, 2006 5:10 am

Hello Matt

We going to have three machines and we will have SCSI for the recordings.

I will look into the Ulaw, we have a 2mb connection, so could be done.
We are using a Zone Channel bank but the quality is really bad, I talk to you about that through email.

We are buying a high end server and I hope that will help out with some of the problems.

Thanks
rambo

Postby mflorell » Wed Jul 12, 2006 5:21 am

We currently have 12 Zhone channelbanks in production on VICIDIAL servers and the sound is very good for us.
mflorell
Site Admin

Postby marvin » Wed Jul 12, 2006 6:21 am

Currently, i have here an AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3000+ @ 1GB RAM with 74.86GB SATA. it can take upto 15 seats with 1.3 dial level. no recording. g729 codec. using v.1.1.12

heres something that i dont understand when i was using v.1.1.9 it can take upto 20 seats of 1.5 dial level.
marvin

Postby mflorell » Wed Jul 12, 2006 7:25 am

A lot has changed since 1.1.9. Could you determin what the change in load was caused by? We have not seen those issues at our locations.

One thing we do to help with performance is to archive and delete old call_log, vicidial_log, vicidial_agent_log and vicidial_list records which improves performance over leaving millions of records sitting in those tables to be searched through every day. How many records do you have in those tables?

Do you have everything on the same machine(Asterisk/web/DB)?
mflorell
Site Admin

Postby marvin » Wed Jul 12, 2006 10:38 am

mflorell wrote:Could you determin what the change in load was caused by?

ill try to check on this one ...

mflorell wrote:One thing we do to help with performance is to archive and delete old call_log, vicidial_log, vicidial_agent_log and vicidial_list records which improves performance over leaving millions of records sitting in those tables to be searched through every day. How many records do you have in those tables?

perhaps this cud be the reason because i did clean the logs

currently i have
call_log = 120,118
vicidial_agent_log = 21,051
vicidial_list = 34,982 <<< this is the only table that i update/clean/empty.
vicidial_log = 77,498
vicidial_user_log = 4,119

mflorell wrote:Do you have everything on the same machine(Asterisk/web/DB)?

yes, only with no recording. since we are using eyebeam we are recording the calls on the agents side to minimize the servers workload.
marvin

Postby mflorell » Wed Jul 12, 2006 11:04 am

You will probably see a performance boost if you move the web and DB off to a separate server if you can.
mflorell
Site Admin

HI

Postby austin.rock9 » Thu Jul 13, 2006 2:19 am

marvin wrote:
mflorell wrote:Could you determin what the change in load was caused by?

ill try to check on this one ...

mflorell wrote:One thing we do to help with performance is to archive and delete old call_log, vicidial_log, vicidial_agent_log and vicidial_list records which improves performance over leaving millions of records sitting in those tables to be searched through every day. How many records do you have in those tables?

perhaps this cud be the reason because i did clean the logs

currently i have
call_log = 120,118
vicidial_agent_log = 21,051
vicidial_list = 34,982 <<< this is the only table that i update/clean/empty.
vicidial_log = 77,498
vicidial_user_log = 4,119

mflorell wrote:Do you have everything on the same machine(Asterisk/web/DB)?

yes, only with no recording. since we are using eyebeam we are recording the calls on the agents side to minimize the servers workload.

<
>

HOw did u record the calls on the agents side. Can you please tell me. ??
austin.rock9

Postby marvin » Thu Jul 13, 2006 2:48 am

we are using a softphone which is eyebeam ... eyebeam has a functionality that can record calls.
marvin

Postby austin.rock9 » Thu Jul 13, 2006 5:42 am

marvin wrote:we are using a softphone which is eyebeam ... eyebeam has a functionality that can record calls.

I am also using eyebeam. Can u tell me how do u do in eyebeam....
austin.rock9

Postby marvin » Thu Jul 13, 2006 10:35 am

austin.rock9 wrote:
marvin wrote:we are using a softphone which is eyebeam ... eyebeam has a functionality that can record calls.

I am also using eyebeam. Can u tell me how do u do in eyebeam....

when you click on record button it will automatically create a folder in C:\Documents and Settings\username\My Documents\eyeBeam. the agents will press the record button every time they recieve a call
marvin

Return to General Discussion