Vicidial Thin Client

Discussions about new features or changes in existing features

Moderators: gerski, enjay, williamconley, Op3r, Staydog, gardo, mflorell, MJCoate, mcargile, Kumba, Michael_N

Vicidial Thin Client

Postby tbenson » Thu May 10, 2007 7:36 pm

Vicidial is already a thin client in comparison to local applications, but I think we can take it a step farther:

The best example i can give is Scalix (Exchange email server replacement). They use AJAX for SWA (scalix web access). This AJAX'ified application takes firefox, tears out the file menu, the shortcuts, and everything else, and then uses the frames to build an application menu with File correlating to email application features (like File/New shows Mail, Calender, etc. Not new window for FF). At the bottom of this page I will post a snapshot of the application.

I know this isnt something that will happen soon, but maybe the roadmap for 3.0 might include stripping down the browser to remove the back buttons and file exits and other options related to web browsing. Then the application could even have drop down menus organizing the options to choose if someone didnt want a button always on the screen taking up space.

This is just my thoughts on the subject, figure a thin client running the new 1024x768 res would look extremely slick. Probably even drive a few call centers to use vicidial but thats my opinion. I am sure someone out there will hate the idea as much as I like it ;)

Notice the first firefox window is just the application, the second image is the window with its file menu opened up showing the options it has, nothing to do with firefox file menu's.

Trevor

tbenson

Postby mflorell » Thu May 10, 2007 8:28 pm

Interesting idea, any idea how to get started with doing something like this?
mflorell
Site Admin

Postby tbenson » Fri May 11, 2007 12:54 am

Yep! We are doing similar things for a web app we are doing. We were planning to try and do it ourselves and donate it up but obviously we have other things taking up our time. Once we track down the code I will start posting up portions of whats required. I know part if it is opening a new window, as on the open you can control the objects and orientation of the window. If you try to adjust the current window to fit the needs it causes headaches and workarounds that are not worth the effort.

Let me know how you want to do it. We can try and code it, or give you the code portions to piece together. You obviously have the know how and knowledge of the system much better then us ;).

Trevor
tbenson

Postby mflorell » Fri May 11, 2007 6:28 am

I suppose that opening a new window from the login screen would work, but I would have to try it out with a few popup-blockers to make sure everything still worked right and the login window was able to be closed automatically.
mflorell
Site Admin

Postby tbenson » Fri May 11, 2007 10:38 am

Depends on the Call Center a bit i guess. If they are like ours, dedicated to calls and not browsing the web, then there shouldn't be any extra tabs to be concerned with closeing.

Otherwise Scalix leaves the login window up, but changes the image to read
Code: Select all
Login Successful. You may close this window, or click HERE if you want to return to the login window.

This way if they do run multiple tabs your not closing the others, and its not sitting at the same login prompt. Someone wrote code to do it in a single window, not sure how that would effect other tabs (remove file menu and buttons for all tabs?)
tbenson

Return to Features